Should I be worried?

Moderator: Mods

Sarahrahrah

Should I be worried?

Post by Sarahrahrah »

Hi all

I need some advice on my IRN. I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that she has been losing a number of feathers around her neck and back, also, the skin there is looking pretty dry and crusty. More recently, she has also been losing the feathers around her eyes. Over all, her behaviour has not changed and the affected areas do not seem to be irritating her and she still craves as much fuss, tickles and cuddles as usual. Should this be something I should be majorly concerned about? Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be and what I could do to help my princess?

Any comments would be really appreciated, as I wouldn't like to stress her out taking her to a vet when there is nothing wrong with her.

Sarah
julie

Re: Should I be worried?

Post by julie »

sounds like it could be a big moult, I have two hens that sound the same. We have feathers everywhere. My two house boys are looking a bit scruffy too.
Where are you located?
For the dry looking skin and for the moult, see if you can get some aloe vera juice. Water the juice down and spray it onto the feathers, this should ease the itchynesss. .
There is always the chance that it could be something that a vet needs to look at so keep an eye on it and if you dont think its right get straight to a vet.
Sarahrahrah

Re: Should I be worried?

Post by Sarahrahrah »

Hi Julie thanks for the reply.

I live in the UK, so it's not like we have hot, dry weather over here. I'll try the aloe vera juice like you said and hopefully I'll start to see some results soon. If not, I'll take her to a vet in the new year, I'd hate for anything serious to be happening to her because she means the world to me!!!

Thanks again

Sarah