Teaching Baby touch...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Teaching Baby touch...

Post by Mikaela »

As most of you know, my Baby is vicious, not mean just HATES being touched. She will of course step up and go home... I dont let her completely run all over me. However, she will NOT tolerate being touched. I came up with a plan. One that would be safe for her and easy for me. And I am SO happy to say it is working GREAT!

This is what I have started doing:

I sit on the floor close enough to a wall so I can block her from fleeing with my feet out-stretched. I rub her and she tries to flee but doesnt get far. Just by replacing her back between my legs when she flees allows for alot of touch. I repeat this until she or I get tired. She is coming around fast. I dont know that she will ever crave being touched like my big girl but it would be nice to get her to where she will allow me to stroke her a few times or inspect her ever so often.

May sound odd to some but this technique is working very very well for my Baby and I. I saw results the first day. Being on the floor worked whereas being on a higher surface didnt. I suspect since she doesnt really like the floor touch isnt so bad compared to it :twisted:

Manipulating adults is waaaay easier than kids and animals, whats up wif dat?
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Awesome! Glad you can touch her without being torn to bits. My sister's IRN, Tsume, needs a bit of work in that department as well. I'll tell her what you did.

Hane finally lets me scratch the back of his neck. It's great, but a far cry from the black capped conure at PetsMart who hops over and rolls so you can give him a headscratch between the bars. Too cute. I want him, lol. But $$ from them. Whoever sells them to that PetsMart deserves a pat on the back, they obviously spent time with the babies!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I got my birds used to being grabbed almost accidently. I'd be sitting at the computer they would play and try and eat my mouse cords. I would distractedly grab the bird, move it, and put it down. It would be too busy chomping on cords to notice my hand until it was too late. I never held them for long and it got them away from chomping my mouse and got them used to being grabbed in one.

I did this often, grab, move, put down. Now they know if they get grabbed they are only going to be moved. This proved very useful when bappy snapped her claw open. I was able to hold her for a long time and apply some flour to try to stop the bleeding.

I used this same method on Kiva and now he will sit on my hand and let me stroke his back and kiss his head. Not up to scritches yet but he'll get there.
tasha

Post by tasha »

I have just started to be able to run my hand down Indy's Tail in the last week it is really great. I feel like he is trusting me a little better. From hissing all the time, to standing on my hand and now a little patting the last month has made a huge difference, thank you for all your help and advice.
Tasha & Indy
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

It sounds like what you are doing is working, just remember, don't push her too far too fast.

IRN's hold a grudge really well. Buddy still hasnt forgiven my husband for not paying attention to him for a week... he was getting my attention but it made him mad that dad was too busy...

Athena
Melika

Post by Melika »

Neokireina wrote:I got my birds used to being grabbed almost accidently. I'd be sitting at the computer they would play and try and eat my mouse cords. I would distractedly grab the bird, move it, and put it down. It would be too busy chomping on cords to notice my hand until it was too late. I never held them for long and it got them away from chomping my mouse and got them used to being grabbed in one.

I did this often, grab, move, put down. Now they know if they get grabbed they are only going to be moved. This proved very useful when bappy snapped her claw open. I was able to hold her for a long time and apply some flour to try to stop the bleeding.

I used this same method on Kiva and now he will sit on my hand and let me stroke his back and kiss his head. Not up to scritches yet but he'll get there.

I began grabbing Hane off the floor by putting my hand over his head and my finger near his feet when he was very young. If he didn't step up a little pull on his head made him. So he's very used to it.

But I accidentally tried to do it with Tsume and he totally freaked out. I forgot that my sister had never done that too him. :shock:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

God this topic is 4 months old hehe. These days she is giving me kisses.

My Baby is growing up :(
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Thats when you go and get more babies Mikaela and start all over again ;P
here's a piccy of what mine look like now

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I have to get rid of some humans before adding more animals :cry:
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Father banned all of us from bringing home more animals, with the exception of getting a female 'tiel as a companion for Killer. Birds don't seem to be subject to his decree since I pay and care for all of them. But absolutly no more dogs or mammals, lol.

I'm not the one that keeps bringing home animals- mom is the culprit. ^_~
tasha

Post by tasha »

My husband told me I had to choose between him and a rabbit, Well the husband is still here, but now we have a rabbit.

lol :lol:
Tasha & Indy
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

I work in a pet store and I actually had to sign a contract with James (my partner) stating there would be no more "livestock" brought home without a thorough discussion and consent from him, before I signed works contract!
-Chamon-