Questions

Moderator: Mods

Kim

Questions

Post by Kim »

There doesn't seem to be very much info re: IRN on the internet. I bought mine on Sunday past and honestly don't know that much about the breed. I was hoping some of you might be able to answer a few questions that I have.

1. How can one estimate the age of the bird
2. Is it possible to sex the bird without going the surgical route
3. What is the best method of taming

Any responses will be greatly appreciated. :)
vortmax

Post by vortmax »

not sure about ageing, but their ring (dark in males, ghost like in females) doesn't appear until maturity. There is also something about beak color too. Maturity is usually around 2 to 3 years old

You can sex your bird using a DNA test that any avian vet can do. It's relativley cheap too. The easiest way is to let your bird grow up since ringnecks are sexually dimorphoric (males look different), but since you don't know the age you may opt for the DNA testing to know now.

As for taming, it takes patience. How far along are you? The first thing you need to do is gain his trust. Just spend time by his cage talking to him and interacting. Maybe read a book to him and as he gains confidence try giving him treats through the bars. Pay attention to how comfortable he is when you reach in the cage to clean, change food, ect.... Start a ritual of giving him a treat every morning when you uncover him, so he'll want to come up to you. Once he is confortable around your hands and you then start to interact more and more. Just take it slow and don't push it. Something I did with Tony when I first got him was to give him breakfast on his play stand. So for him to get his apples, rice, oatmeal, ect (the good stuff), he needed to step up and ride with me. Worked great. Basicly if you make being around you and with you fun, then he'll want to interact
Kim

Post by Kim »

Thanks Vortmax. I suspect that Max is still quite a young bird then AND femme as I hoped. She is bright yellow, and the ring is more the way the feathers lay than an actual colouration or marking. I am trying various ways of gaining her trust. She is not totally frightened of me, more curious and wary - but that could be due to the fact that she came from a pet shop, and animals there really do have a ruff time. It took me about 2 weeks to gain the trust of our African Grey who was already one and a half years old when we got him, and I am hoping my interaction with him in front of Max wil also show her that I mean her no harm. IRN are quite intelligent from what I've read and there is def something intelligent in her eyes :)

Thanks and I will keep you posted.