My IRN won't listen

Moderator: Mods

My IRN won't listen

Post by Guest »

Hello everyone I really love this site, it gave me alot of info on IRN's.

Anyway, my IRN won't listen to me. I talk to him but he usually plays with my zipper or earings. Do you know any ways on how to get his attention?

He is about 6 months old.
Tweets

Not listening?

Post by Tweets »

Hi there, and welcome to the boards.

Unfortunately, birds don't "understand" us..
they need to be "shown"..
When your bird does something undesireable, hold it's beak and firmly say "No".
Soon, she will get the connection.

I hope someone else can give you more insight into this.
Sami
Tweets

walking away

Post by Tweets »

Another thing that helps birds that bite:
Everytime they bite you, put them down and walk away. In future, they will associate biting you with being put down and left alone. I have heard that this method is really effective.

i got this article from http://www.featheredfamily.com/biting.htm

If you have an otherwise sweet individual who suddenly took a hunk out of your finger, there are things to consider. Was the bird overtired? How about overstimulated? Were there strangers in the environment? Were you stressed out at the time of the bite? Any of those things can cause your companion parrot to lash out in what seems like an unpredictable attack, but actually is the only defense available to a parrot who perceives himself in a dangerous situation. This situation requires that you examine your bird to be sure it is not hurt or sick, and do what is needed to fix it's environment so that it feels safe once again.

What about those birds who are aptly named things like "Vampire" or "Kujo"? This is another story. There are a lot of things you can do with a bird who is an attack parrot. The first and foremost thing to do is protect yourself during all interactions. Your no good to the bird when your hopping up and down, cursing, and bleeding all over. Use a hand held perch for step ups with this bird, never allowing him the chance to remove your little finger at the knuckle. Look at life from his perspective, are you daring to wander in his domain? Did you have the audacity to touch another parrot within his jealous sight? I seriously recommend behavior consultation with birds of this level, as usually it is something within the home causing this problem and the people affected are just too involved to see the answer.

On to the baby bird who thinks of your fingers as a biting pacifier. First, let me state most baby parrots will "Beak" fingers. That means they will place their beak on your fingers and squeeze a bit. This should not be painful, and if it is you need to correct this behavior. Do not allow your sweet baby to grow up thinking that your face or hands are good chew toys, this will destroy the relationship. Consider why the baby is biting you. Is he hungry? Tired? Overstimulated? Territorial? Dealing with these issues from the birds perspective can have an amazing effect.

The most important thing I have to say about biting birds is - Never Strike A Biting Bird. You should never hit any bird, but when they bite it is instinct to swing your hands around. Avoid this at all costs. The best thing you can do, and I know this is counterintuitive, is to press the part being bitten INTO the beak while firmly saying "NO" (not yelling) and gently opening the beak to remove the bitten part. It's hard work, but its worth it in the end to turn your birds biting behaviors around.
Sami
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

You need to get your bird on the correct diet first. Don't give him/her his/her favorite treats. That is a huge "No-no"! We feed our birds fruits and vegetables, plus seeds and nuts. Some owners prefer pellets, but if you don't have that commercially available in your area or it's too pricey, you might need to stick to seeds but then you have to give your bird LOTS OF OTHER FOODS. Find out what treat, or food, your bird likes best. When you have found that favorite treat, don't give it during feeding him/her, it will be the treat your bird gets when training him/her. Next, you need a training schedule. About 1 hour a day at the least, should do. During that time, if your bird doesn't know how to step up, follow the schedule Tweets showed you, or follow this one - | http://members.dodo.com.au/~johanp/Tami ... aining.htm |.

I'd also reccomend this article - | http://www.featheredfamily.com/tamingirn.htm |.

If your bird allready knows the "step up" command, you only need to acquaint your bird with "touch". I'm going to write an article on that subject soon, but until then, keep up the "step up" command. Regularly touch your bird all over his/her body, then gradually, the wings, the back, the tail, everywhere, and then tilt your bird onto his/her back. If he/she bites, don't shrug away, if he/she doesn't bring him/her up again, and keep repeating this for about 4-5 weeks depending on how quickly your bird learns this :wink: . Indian Ringnecks are large birds in small bodies, and many owners don't know what they're taking on when getting an IRN. They think of a "small bird" but they misjudge themselves as Ringnecks, are actually large birds.