new chick IRNs

Moderator: Mods

iwe

new chick IRNs

Post by iwe »

Hi,

i have pairs of green indian ring neck (outside in the garden), and i got 2 chicks about 2 weeks olds in the nest. i like to make them tame.

when the best time to move them to my room ? its better if i take just one chick or both? i thing i can't handfeeding them. so can you give me the information to make the new chick become a taming IRN?

thanks.
carly

Post by carly »

ive bred irns before, and didnt want to handraise my babies either, but it is still possible to tame them.

i found that the best time to bring them inside is a few days after they leave the nest by themselves (fledge) and you have seen them cracking seeds (eating by themself).

if you bring them inside, clip their wing immediately, and start trying to make friends - talk to them, offer food from your hand, etc they will get the idea that you are their friend.

i would suggest that it is better to have one at a time, but i guess its up to you
iwe

new chick

Post by iwe »

hi,

thanks alot for your Tips, and i'll do it as i like to have a taming IRN bird.
but this morning i just found one of the chick dead, i dont know what happen and i dont know what i must do in this situation. the parent still feeding them as i know that the parent still inside the nestbox during the day.

im really sad about it and afraid that i will lose the other chick also.
can anyone give me the advise what i can do for this situation?
is it possible that i change the material inside the nestbox? 'cause it abit dirty/mess from the chick.

thanks for your help guys.