IRN problem #2

Moderator: Mods

watever

IRN problem #2

Post by watever »

Hi all, my bird is addicted to sitting on my shoulder. when i try to get it to step up to get off it stardss corwing and bites HARD! is it wrong to let it sit on my shoulder andany tips on haw to rectify this prob will be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

A bird that does not WILLING STEP DOWN ON THE FIRST COMMAND TO DO SO IS TO UNPREDICTABLE TO BE ON YOUR SHOULDER.

Unless you want to create a screamer, get that bird off of your shoulder. Unless you want to loose an eye, keep that bird off of your shoulder. Unless you want to loose your rank on the totum pole GET THAT BIRD OFF OF YOUR SHOULDER.

ONLY well tamed birds that WILLING step down EVERYTIME ON THE FIRST command to do so gets shoulder time.

Get him off and keep him off until he acts accordingly, otherwise you will be hindsight 20/20 damaging the relationship between you and your beloved bird. You will find you have became his pet very quickly.

Dealt with this already and didnt like what I heard either but the truth is often the hardest to accept and rarely what you want to hear.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
~ Mikaela Sky

watever

Post by watever »

thanks mikaela, usually as it steps up it flies up to my shoulder, and theres no turning back form there. i havent let it sit on my shoulder for 2 days, and i can see i big improvemtnt. it still tiries to fly up to my shoulder but i move my hand in order to make it hard to land there. the first day it was crowing wishing to get up but the second day, it stopped biting andrather acceptant that i will only let it sit on py arm.

thanks for the Help!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Good Job whatever!

You are doing exactly what you should do... whatever it takes to keep him off your shoulder.

This is also teaching him YOU are boss. Also, I wanted to mention to you (I dont know if this is your first bird), try to think of what comes natural to you when repremanding your bird and ALWAYS use that same word and tone. Mine happens to be 'Baaaaaaby Nooo be a good girl'. When I say that to her she stops in her tracks, almost like a kitty that is picked up by their mommy... they go sort of balled up and paralized.

She doesnt HAULT like that but that was an analogy. She knows whatever she is doing is not pleasing me so she sits/perches and stops whatever she was doing.

Because we have a litter of kittys, she has also learned what 'Be Nice' means. If I say Be nice she will stop biting their tails and play nicer. I dont know if she understands or associates 'be nice' with stop what you are doing.
~ Mikaela Sky