help i've got a plucker

Moderator: Mods

tink

help i've got a plucker

Post by tink »

Tink started plucking feathers and i don't know what to do. he seems very nervous all the time. I give him alot of attention but he doesn't like being cuddled or petted. he has alot of toys and always has time out of his cage which he loves. any suggestions would be helpful.
laureen
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Have you gone to the vet? 80% of the plucking we see (rescue work) is physically based, and it becomes a habit fast.

I always start with the vet. Catch the problem fast, treat it fast, you can help avoid it becoming a habit.

Athena
Angelface

Post by Angelface »

mine plucked feathers from his very first home, she had a handmade play pen built for him and it had treated wood and gave him a nasty skin infection...now he just does it when he feels like it. Right now he's in chicken mode :(

For sure go see a vet as Athena said...hopefully it's something easily taken care of! I used bitter apple awhile back on my grass parakeet and it worked very well, for my IRN I haven't tried anything yet since he's still fairly new to me! but I probably will end up picking up some bitter apple this weekend
good luck and let us know what your vet says about your bird!