Rocko

Moderator: Mods

gils

Rocko

Post by gils »

:D I have been given an IRN(Rocko) for my birthday about 3 weeks ago I have always loved parrots as my grandfather(God bless)was a breeder for as long I can recall up till now I have not had the time.Rocko has fitted in with me just fine but for the wife & kids if thay put there hand out to pick him up his wings go out & trys to bite. As Im the one who feeds him is he just beening territorial or just a one person bird.We do keep the door to his cage open so he can go in & out when he likes. I am the only one he will come to on his own free will.My wife & I have been trying to work out how old is Rocko he was eating seed when I got him on the 22nd nov 04 but still had to give him the biscket mix for a week so if there is someone who can help us give & get the best out of our new famliy member thank you for taking the time to read this.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Congrats on your new Ringneck and I apologize for not being able to reply so soon. Sometimes I get a little too busy!

Sometimes Ringnecks can turn into “one person” birds. They’ll chase away family members and only prefer to interact with one family member, usually the caretaker. The solution is simple and does take time to cure the problem, or at least makes living for family members bearable with the Ringneck.

Here are a few things you can do to better their relationships.

Rather then you only doing cage chores, allow other family members to do them as well. This will help her accept family members as part of the family flock.

Have family members offer your IRN treats. This is probably the most important because food is a direct way into winning the trust of a Ringneck. It works wonders!

Another tactic you can use is to have them talk to her in a soothing voice. Just have them pull up a chair and start a conversation with him/her. Sing nursery rhymes or tell jokes.

Follow these tips and soon your Ringneck should start to turn around. It can take time but through hard work you can accomplish the impossible.

Hope this helps and please keep us updated. Also I am moving this topic.

Best wishes & Happy Holidays :wink:

Imran C.