What to expect from my new bird

Moderator: Mods

jenicar

What to expect from my new bird

Post by jenicar »

Hello, I am new to this site and to the IRN. I had a Quaker forever and lost him. Now, it is a year later and happened to be in a store, where this lady had asked the people to sell Paco for her. I picked him up just in time from some young kids that knew nothing about birds. I just don't know anything about IRN's. I have had him for four days. Do you have any tips for me. I can get him out of the cage and on my shoulder, but how long before he may not be so afraid. Thanks, jenicar
kingtutone

Post by kingtutone »

Hello Jenicar

Welcome to this board and congratulations on your new IRN! If I read the post correctly, your Indian Ringneck is sitting on your shoulder and you are able to handle him, right? If that’s the case, that’s great progress already! It’s a good thing the parrot is allowing you to handle him/her for only 4 days. When you enter the room, or try to attain the bird does it jump around the cage and make a fuss? If so, back off a bit. Rather then force the bird on your shoulder, which I never recommend, let it explore its surroundings. Rather then force it where it does not want to go, coax it with fruits and favorite treats. For example, every morning you get up to clean the bird’s cages, etc… After everything is cleaned, just keep the cage door open and let the bird “hangout” on top of the cage. While the bird is still out, walk towards the cage slowly avoiding all eye contact with the IRN. (Before you walk towards the cage, have some type of treat.) Once you get close enough to the bird, gently lay the treat on top of the cage or hold it so the bird can see it. This process might take weeks or days; every bird is different and will accept human interaction at their own rates. The IRN will eventually accept the treat. I cannot give you a definite time frame; however I can only guide you in the right direction. Just be patient, once this step is accomplished give yourself a huge pat on the back!

After accomplishing the bird to accept the food from your fingers, gently persuade the bird to stand on your finger. Slowly, with little eye contact, hold your finger up and try to maneuver the food towards your finger. Situate the food in such a way that the bird will have to step up on your hand. Once accomplished, keep doing this repeatedly until the bird has full confidence that you’re there as a friend, rather then an enemy. Again, this step has no time frame as well. Every bird is different and the time frame will vary. Just keep doing this until your bird had no problem with stepping up on your hand.

Getting past those steps can take a while, but you’re building your relationship though earned trust. Once your parrot fully trusts you, you can begin training sessions, which I highly recommend. Stimulate its brain; it keeps their mental health healthy and its fun for both of you. Plus you get to show off a beautiful bird that you have worked extra hard to gain its trust. The more tricks that are taught to the bird, the stronger your relationship will be with the IRN. Why? Simply put, it’s more quality time with the bird. :wink:

If your bird can just sit on your finger and shoulder without a struggle from the cage, then work on tricks or speech lessons with it. This will strengthen the bond. Also, if your Ringneck seems scared right now, it’s because it’s only been in your house for 4 days. Give it some time to really adjust to its new surroundings. Everything will get better once the bird feels more secure in its new home.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new IRN parrot! They really are great creatures! :D

Best wishes,
I.C.