How Common is Psittacosis among IRNs?

Moderator: Mods

AussieParrots

How Common is Psittacosis among IRNs?

Post by AussieParrots »

We've had one case of Psittacosis passed onto a family member through a young cockatiel that was purchased from a pet shop which resulted in hospitalisation and about 12 weeks to recover (the family member that is, the cockatiel died).

Understandably, we're all a bit wary of Psittacosis now. Although the above case got out of hand as we didn't recognise it as Psittacosis at first, we just thought it was the flu.

We're now starting to set up an aviary for IRN, but naturally there's still a few jitters out there. We're going to test the breeding birds we buy for Psittacosis via a vet using a IC ELISA test. I did originally think that we could give them a course of antibiotics when they first arrived to flush anything out - but then I researched it more thoroughly!! 45 days omg that is a persistant bug!!

So, in a clean aviary with a balanced diet and limited contact with new birds (we plan on getting a second pair in about 6 mths but they would too will be IC tested and quarrantined) how high is the risk for Psittacosis?

I've read that tiels are more susceptible to it, but there is not a lot mentioning IRN in any detail.

Advice or comments from more experienced breeders would be welcome!!

Prue
Melika

Re: How Common is Psittacosis among IRNs?

Post by Melika »

I haven't read anything specific to IRNs and an increased tendency for Psittacosis.

Since you will be testing for it, most of your measures are going to be preventative to keep from bringing in this disease. Make sure your breeder is also screening his/her own flock. If you buy anything from a shop that has birds in it, it should be disinfected before introducing to your flock. Be wary of bird clubs where owners bring their parrots (read as "don't bring yours and change/wash before tending to your flock"), wash hands between cages, etc etc. I imagine through your research you already know all of this. Ah and if you go to the vet, bring your bird first thing. I'd prefer to be out of there before all the birds with serious/transmissible issues have been running through there...

If I handled a bird that is not mine, I won't handle my own parrots until I've showered and changed. But I'm paranoid like that. If it's an outdoor aviary, I also would not be feeding wild birds since we have local wild parrots and I would not want them visiting and bringing along who knows what. With the proper precautions and watching out for any signs, I would think your risk very low. Members here who have had much more contact with a variety of birds will probably have better input than I.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
AussieParrots

Re: How Common is Psittacosis among IRNs?

Post by AussieParrots »

Thank you Melika. Makes me feel much better! :)