Pair don't go into nesting box????????

Moderator: Mods

jeannette105

Pair don't go into nesting box????????

Post by jeannette105 »

I have having a similar problem with my pair. They have been doing this mating dance for about two weeks now. I finally got a nesting box a few day ago but they don't go in. The female paces around the bottom of the cage picking at the newspaper between the grate. I put a pile of pine shaving in the bottom of the cage by the nesting box. I worry that I may of missed the window because I couldn't find a box in time. I got the pair in July. I was told that the female did lay a egg las year but that was all I was told. I was also told that the male is 4 and the female is 3. Some one please help.
bec

Re: Pair don't go into nesting box????????

Post by bec »

the first time i had a box in with kieron & orchid i didnt even see them go in the box at all just one day while ithey were busy eating i looked in the box & there were 2 eggs
im not sure where you are so im not sure if it still breeding season where you are hopefully someone will be able to tell you
has there actally been any mating?
jeannette105

Post by jeannette105 »

I am in Las Vegas, NV.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Jeannette,

You are in the northern hemisphere .... so usually your birds will begin laying eggs in february-april. Sometimes they do earlier (I had a pair laying in mid january) and sometimes later (specially first time breeding females).

Good luck

Recio