Unhatched Eggs

Moderator: Mods

bluedolphin5580

Unhatched Eggs

Post by bluedolphin5580 »

My hen and my male live together permanently in the same cage and get on well. My hen has been sitting on 2 eggs for the past 4 weeks, only stopping briefly to eat. The male occasionally goes in the box or stands guard out front. Just wondering what I should do? Are the eggs unfertile? Should I remove eggs? Might either bird be sterile? Is this common?

Also there is only a very thin layer of nesting material in box. I have tried various types but every time both birds have removed it!
Coastal-Birds

eggs

Post by Coastal-Birds »

Hi
Firstly are the birds mature,like has the cock got his ring or had it for a long time?.
Indian ringneck cocks are fertile from 2yrs with luck but at 3yrs they are fully coloured with neckring and should be ready to go.
Hens on the other hand can lay eggs at 1 and be fertile and at 2 from my experience are always fertile.
From when the hen sits on eggs full time it is about 24 days till they should start hatching,this can vary but only by 1 or 2 days .Sometimes 2 eggs even though not laid at same time can hatch.
So if it has been 4 weeks since she has been sitting tight i would say they are no good.
If you can get a strong small light to light up the egg you will see if they are good or not.
If they seem clear pinkish then they are not fertile.
At 4 weeks they should be looking dark grey inside.
If they look solid grey then maybe leave them a few more days and see what happens.
If she has infetile eggs if you pull them she most likely will lay again and then the same thing waiting.
But if you have to do this maybe invest on a egg candler and 4-5 days after she is on them you will see small red blood vessels in them.
1cm on nest material should be ok but not less than that as when or if you have young the babies can get sprawled legs as they do not have anything to hold onto while hen is on them or trying to stand for feeding..