new avairy

Moderator: Mods

riantango08

new avairy

Post by riantango08 »

i have just purchased a new avairy that is 11fL x 10.5fW x 9fH.hopefully its coming this weekend.

i was just wondering,i have 2 pairs of irns,will i have to still seperate the pairs or is the avairy big enough not to.

will moving them into the new avairy upset them,is its still early enough before the season starts.
im also hoping that they will breed this year,what special requirements do i need to do.i have one box already in their cage(there still in old avairy) but will be getting another one this weekend at the bird expo.do they need extra food and supplements coming up to breeding season.
they get fresh seed everyday and vegies every second day is there anything else i need to do
sorry about all the questions..
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Hi, is this your first time breeding? If so its better to
know the birds age, wen they are young they may not
be interested. Supplements could help the mother bird
in egg laying, Good luck :D .
Razsringnecks

Re: new avairy

Post by Razsringnecks »

riantango08 wrote:i have just purchased a new avairy that is 11fL x 10.5fW x 9fH.hopefully its coming this weekend.

i was just wondering,i have 2 pairs of irns,will i have to still seperate the pairs or is the avairy big enough not to.

will moving them into the new avairy upset them,is its still early enough before the season starts.
im also hoping that they will breed this year,what special requirements do i need to do.i have one box already in their cage(there still in old avairy) but will be getting another one this weekend at the bird expo.do they need extra food and supplements coming up to breeding season.
they get fresh seed everyday and vegies every second day is there anything else i need to do
sorry about all the questions..

Hey, :D
Firstly I would prefer to separate your breeding pairs, however some ringnecks can work well in a communal aviary.
You will need separate nest boxes.
Depending on where you are located in Australia, you will need to start pairing your birds NOW! Are they of breeding age?
Always be sure to put the cock bird in the aviary first as the hen can be very territorial and even kill the cock bird.
You should start feeding your birds a great variety of fruit and veg at this time....every day. Cuttle bone should be added to the aviary. I also use a sprinkle of D Nutrical....by Vetafarm.....it is a microfined powder containing triple calcium sources and multivitamins and minerals. This is very helpful for the hen...laying and general health.

Hope this helps....Best of luck with your breeding..... :D
riantango08

Post by riantango08 »

hi there thanks for ur replys
yes this is the first time for me breeding,my birds are already paired up

the first pair are a green male and grey female about 2.1/2 years old,the second pair are a blue male about 20 mths old and a lutino female about 2 yrs old,i think this pair might be to young as the male hasnt even got his ring yet.

my avairy wont be here till the end of the month,but it is definatly big enough to seperate them and they would still have enough room to fly around.
also if i put the cocks in the avairy first how long before i can put the females in
thanks
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I can't answer your last question
but your males have to have a
ring to at least mate. Who knows
though because its up to your
birds if they feel like having sex..lols 8)
Razsringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

Hi,
If all of the birds are in the aviary at the moment, all you have to do is divide them. They have been together with out any trouble? So they should be fine.
The othe option is to keep them in a communal aviary....set up.....then add the nest boxes as required.
This way you will have to keep an eye on who pairs up.
As to the age of your birds. Ringnecks usually breed around the 2yr mark.
Even your blue male around 20 months should breed this season. He is rising 2ry old.
A ringneck does not have to have a ring to breed! I had a fellow breeder breed his youg cock bird.....1ry old last season. He filled 3 eggs.
NATURE IS A WONDERFUL THING :P
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Yes, nature is the best thing..Go camping its great!