Several pairing questions, also...will he breed?

Moderator: Mods

crazyparrot

Several pairing questions, also...will he breed?

Post by crazyparrot »

I have 6 adult IRN's and I'm tired of dead babies and green birds.
I had a white female with a green male...no success, they ate the eggs prior to hatching and let the only one that hatched die...I separated them after the 2nd try

I have a green male with a blue female, I only get blue, but they breed well and are very attentive but still let me work with the chicks & clean the box.

I have a blue male that is banded, 7 yrs old but he is plucked quite a bit...will a hen breed with him? If so, what would be best... Here is what I have to my knowledge.

1 blue female -breeds well
1 white female -eats eggs (her or the male, I'm not sure yet
1 lutino female -haven't bred her yet

1 green male -breeds well with blue male
1 green male -had 2 lutino nestmates, one I know was female didn't get to sex the other, he just rung out in August 2008
1 blue male -plucked on neck, shoulders, under wings and on thighs

I am thinking to put the blue male with the blue female for next season
And also the green male with lutino siblings to the lutino hen

Does this sound good? How long should it take before they breed...usually?

I only want to keep two pairs for next season if I can get good results.
Please check out my sites at www.southerncockatiels.com and www.crazyparrot.com
julie

Post by julie »

Have you got pictures of the " plucked " blue bird. I'm a little curious about how he manages to pluck his neck.
crazyparrot

Post by crazyparrot »

I am not sure if it was hpysical plucking, he was in a small cage at the back of a shed filled with cockatiels, The lady told me $40 and before I could answer she jumped down to $25 and that's what I got him for. Since I brought him home he has been on the back patio with plenty of fresh air and light. I don't know if the sun's UV rays penetrate screen or not, I may have to put him outside for a little each day, but he is spastic.
I would really like for his feathers to come back, but I honestly think the damage is permanent

Oh, another thing...IS he blue? in normal light he looks blue, but in most photos he looks sort of greenish...se left picture
ImageImage
julie

Post by julie »

I don't mean to alarm you but I think he needs to be quarantined and taken to a vet. He cant have plucked the feathers on the top of his head near his eye as there is no way he could reach with his beak. It may just be mites and he is rubbing it way too much or it could be something more serious.
crazyparrot

baldness

Post by crazyparrot »

I'm actually thinking more on the line of mal nutrition, especially with the conditions he was living in. Cockatiel dander can affect the respiratory system of other species as well as the fact he had no sunlight. I know he does not have mites as I looked him over and also, I use AIL regularly. I have had to deal wih mites in the past on other birds.

My questions are about the pairings, what will they bring, will a female breed with a plucked (or balding) male and is he blue or some other color.