Can anyone help

Moderator: Mods

ianaustin

Can anyone help

Post by ianaustin »

I have owned two Indian Ringnecked Parakeets for five months now and they are great. They seem to have settled in very well and i have noticed on a few occasions the cock mounting the hen to breed. After seeing this i put a parakeet breeding box in the cage as i would like to bread them. We were advised when we bought them that they were a breading pair but i do not seem to be having any joy. Can anyone advise at what time in the year do IRP bread. Is it in spring as with birds in the wild or can it change. I have also added nesting material which they just throw on the bottom of the cage. They also have a varied diet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ian.
Recio

Re: Can anyone help

Post by Recio »

ianaustin wrote:I have owned two Indian Ringnecked Parakeets for five months now and they are great. They seem to have settled in very well and i have noticed on a few occasions the cock mounting the hen to breed. After seeing this i put a parakeet breeding box in the cage as i would like to bread them. We were advised when we bought them that they were a breading pair but i do not seem to be having any joy. Can anyone advise at what time in the year do IRP bread. Is it in spring as with birds in the wild or can it change. I have also added nesting material which they just throw on the bottom of the cage. They also have a varied diet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ian.
Hi, Ianaustin

In France IRN kept on natural photoperiod with free acces to nestboxes begin displaying between december and january, and laying eggs between february and april (earlier with proven pairs and later with first time breeding birds). Anyway breeding period continues until may/june if eggs are removed or lost. I think it must be similar in UK, may be a little bit later. You should wait 3-4 weeks after the birds begin mating till they lay the eggs.

Hope it helps you
Jan

Re: Can anyone help

Post by Jan »

ianaustin wrote:I have owned two Indian Ringnecked Parakeets for five months now and they are great. They seem to have settled in very well and i have noticed on a few occasions the cock mounting the hen to breed. After seeing this i put a parakeet breeding box in the cage as i would like to bread them. We were advised when we bought them that they were a breading pair but i do not seem to be having any joy. Can anyone advise at what time in the year do IRP bread. Is it in spring as with birds in the wild or can it change. I have also added nesting material which they just throw on the bottom of the cage. They also have a varied diet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ian.
Hi.
It all depends on your location.
For instance im from South Africa and the breeding season for Ringnecks start Middle August to End of March. They usualy lay the first eggs round about 27th August. My breeding pairs are busy nesting and i can expect eggs anytime soon. The male will mount the female several times as you will see But only expect eggs ± 3 to 4 weeks later.
Chow Jan :)