Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Kim

Post by Kim »

Hi, my name is Kim and I hail from Cape Town, South Africa.
I bought an IRN on Sunday past, her/his name is Max. (to avoid confusion I'll refer to Max as "she") :)
She is bright yellow, with light brown eyes and a dark pink beak. She looks ultra femme. I have no idea on her age or background, she was sold to our local pet shop with very little info. She is exceptionally quiet, and has finally started taking an interest in the toys in the cage. If I put my hand in the cage, she flies around like a nutcase. I must admit I don't know IRN very well, we have an African Grey, and them I understand perfectly. I like you I bite you, I don't like you I rip your finger to shreds :?
I am trying to find out as much as I can about the IRN, behaviour, taming etc. If anyone can offer any advise.. I'm all ears.

Now I have a multitude of your posts to read... hope to hear from some of you :)
Lisa's Tiki

Welcome!

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

Hi Kim, Welcome to the board! I am from California, USA and I have a blue IRN that is almost 5 months old named Tiki. Alot of people say IRNs are not cuddly and I guess that is true, but each bird is different and depending on how much you socialize with them depends on their behavior as well. As soon as I get home from work Tiki is out of his cage. If I am on the floor watching TV or playing a video game with my daughter, he too climbs down to join in. He will sit on my lap and let me give him scritches. I just got him a flight suit and he wears this now and goes with me to the store. This site along with Birdboard.com and http://www.mresource.com/Birds/PERPET.HTM have alot of information about IRN. I don't know much more than what I have read on these sites about these birds, but I know I would not trade mine for the world!
Kim

Post by Kim »

Thanks for the welcome Lisa

Tiki looks stunning. Hopefully I will gain my bird's trust soon.

What on earth is a flight suit??
Lisa's Tiki

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

A flight suit is a harness/leash with a built in diaper for your birdie. That way they can sit on your shoulder and not be able to fly away (Remember even if a birds wings that are clipped, if they are spooked, they can still get away - sometimes a great distance if they catch an updraft of wind) plus they can't poop on you. Here is a link on the description, but I bought mine from Petco.com for a better price (don't know if either site ships overseas though): http://www.birddiaper.com/ They are not the easiest things in the world to get on, even with a laid back IRN such as mine.

Just keep working with Max everyday - an hour or more. Speak softly to him as you approach his cage, offer him some of his favorite treats (Mine loves popcorn, banana chips, nuts, millet) and he will come around to being your best friend! :D
Melika

Post by Melika »

Hello Kim, I'm Melika and my green IRN is Hane. I say him but don't know for sure yet. ^_^

Hope we can help with any issues that may come up, and to start your relationship with Max onto a good start. Information is your best bet for a healthy and happy bird. Why else would you be here? :D

I was able to hand-feed Hane myself, so he was never afraid of hands. Bur I have worked with a few un-tamed or half-tamed parrots. There are two ways to go about it:

(1) You can remove Max from her cage (I'm assuming her wings are clipped) with a small towel and take her to a small room, such as a bathroom for some one on one time every day for ten minutes. Giving millet and treats while singing or talking softly to the bird. Eventually you can lengthen the time, and in my experience the bird will want to come out by himself eventually for treat time. A playstand is beneficial for longer periods of time with you, and they enjoy it.

(2) However some people object to that method and prefer an approach with zero conflict. There's no problem with that either. The more gentle approach builds trust from the very start. In this other method you would sit by Max's cage for 10-15 minutes a day reading or whatever you like to do (knit, sketch, whatever) and let her get used to you being nearby. When she doesn't react with fright when you are by her, you can offer a favourite treat through the bars, sometimes at first just dropping it into the food dish and going on with your business. Work up to the point where she comes to you for a treat. Always make her approach YOU for the treat, don't put it near her, make her come to it. Then you can offer it through an open door eventually making her step onto your other hand to get to it. So your other hand becomes just an obstacle used to reach her goal (the treat). Slowly build her confidence and you can slowly take her out on your hand.

That's the gentle way, and it does work. Both of these methods do work, but some birds (such as rescues) do best with the latter method. I've found that new chicks (youngsters) seem to adapt well with the first technique. But you would know what is best for Max. :)
Kim

Post by Kim »

Hiya

Lisa - tnx for clearing up the flight suit question, I must admit I had some bizarre thoughts of a LRN decked out in a paratrooper suit or the like. Apologies for that. :D

Melika, also many thanks for your well wishes and advise. I sat with Max in my office last night, openend her cage door and put some chicken on the door. I then carried on with my work and kept a watch out the corner of my eye. She was very intrigued by the open door and the chicken, did a few acrobatic climbs - but never approached the goal.
Then I sat in front of the cage with her talking to her and offered her the chicken on my palm. Oh boy, she was "flying" around trying to avoid my hand. So left that idea. I will try a combo of the 2 methods you suggested tonight when I get home and will keep you posted on the progress.