Head bobbing??? Is this a normal behavior?

Moderator: Mods

Lisa's Tiki

Head bobbing??? Is this a normal behavior?

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

Tiki for the past several days has been doing this head bob thing. He will be 4 months old on 8/4. He doesn't have an apparent time that he does it. (Not just after he has eaten or any specific time or activity) He will just start craning his neck and then he will bob his head up and down. I don't think he has anything stuck in this crop, he doesn't act like he is chocking. His breathing seems normal to me too. Is this head bob thing a normal behavior for IRNs?
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

do his pupils dilate? and does he make funny noises? if so then my 4 month old bird does this too and it sounds like he is practicing his talking. he sits on his perch will doing this and looks a little drunk.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Same for my 11 week IRN, she does it when she feels frisky. I love it when she does it and fluffs all up. These birds love to put on a show.
~ Mikaela Sky

Lisa's Tiki

Head bobbing

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

Yeah, I guess he is just putting on a show. I have not noticed if his eyes dialate when he does this and he doesn't make any sounds while doing it. He is constantly practing talking though. I thought this morning he was actually going to say something! :lol: I have started calling this craining the neck and head bob his E.T. move, because he reminds me of E.T. when he stretches that neck up - it is funny!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

The mumbling they do when they think noone is listening is SO CUTE. Reminds me of an ol woman complaining under her breath.
~ Mikaela Sky

Angelface

Post by Angelface »

sounds very cute!! we call ours a little rapper because he bobs with such timing haha it's very cute to watch! try bobbing back at him and see if he does it more!
mixsetup

Head bobbing

Post by mixsetup »

Hi all mine does this also he is a Blue ringneck about 2 or 3 years old but mine does it every time you go to get food. If you say jig to him he does it faster but he will do it every time my wife opens a packet of food.
He does try to talk a little but when he does he doesn't bob his head. He will talk as he does try more now I had him in aviary and didn't know he was hand reared so he is just trying to talk. So try and go open a packet of food and see if he bobs his head as mine bobs his head if you get food or something he likes.
Lynne Watts

head bobboy

Post by Lynne Watts »

My Tiki used to do this when he was flirting with his companion Leah. He put on quite a show. IRN's are so beautiful when they do this. My sister in law likes conures, but when she watches my IRN's in action doing this she gets so jealous. Their beauty is unmatched as far as I'm concerned.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My girl does this to tell me she wants me to rub under her neck with my thumb. Next time, try rubbing there and see if she keeps her head back and makes a purring sound.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

Lynne Watts

head bobbing

Post by Lynne Watts »

Awe. My quaker does exactly that when I rub her there. If you've ever seen a quaker face from the front when they do this, they are so hilarious looking. A face only a mother could love really. Otherwise of course, she's beautiful
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I just realized something, these birds could be the ugliest... meanest creatures on the planet for all we know. Like Lynne said... face only a mother could love. Yet, we live for them.

I think I a going to start being an all around pain in the rear, cuss my husband out and scream at him for taking good care of us and then right before we make love BITE the crap out of him. Then, he would appreciate it when I am nice... I could learn something from these girls :wink:

Afterall, thats the way they treat us and we can't wait for a little more emotional abuse :lol:
Lynne Watts

bobbing heads

Post by Lynne Watts »

I think we should all try this experinment out and see what the outcome is. You may be on to something Makaela
ScarletKnight

mumbling

Post by ScarletKnight »

what dies it mumbling sound like. It gettign to me what mubling and no i do not uderstand wining liek an old woman i want to know what it sounds like it. it like the grind noise kairi makes when he left alone of this im sleeping liek he grinding his beak. Im confused is this a North American thing mostof irn we had were rescued and were old and as far as i recall jsut started talking i never heard this so called mumbling. explain explain explain.
scarlet
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

It sounds like a baby cooing, someone mumbling bad stuff they dont want you to hear, hard to explain. Also, they whimper and it sounds exactly like a box of puppys. My baby does this when she has her head under her wing mostly.

If you REALLY want to hear it I will record it for you and send you a .wav file. Just PM me your e-mail addy.
ScarletKnight

mubbline

Post by ScarletKnight »

can u sendme a wav file this is getting to me
scarlet