India has lost her mind...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

India has lost her mind...

Post by Mikaela »

Look ya'll:
God knows I love my bird but she is pushing my patience. She refused her hand feeding two days in a row and lives in her food dish. She has gotten VERY aggressive since. She use to step right up and come out of her cage like a proud peacock. Now, she bows down and lunges when I want to be with her. I actually, and this is so bad, lost my temper with her this morning and almost.... ALMOST! tapped her on top of the head. I am bigger than that and feel ashamed although I didnt actually do it.

She comes to me all the time. She sings pretty for me to come and see her. It is like she weened herself in one day and is saying "I dont need you now, touch me and you will draw back a nub". She wants to be right beside me but NO TOUCH!

My questions is, I suppose: Do I just let her be with me and not touch her for a few days or is that going to mess up what little taming she has? Which ain't much.

I feel so guilty getting mad at her. I took it personally and it hurts my feelings and I almost lashed out in a way that could have harmed our relationship forever. :cry:
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

It sounds to me like she is bluffing. Just hang in there and she will soon grow out of it. Don’t pull away otherwise blood will be drawn. My IRN has been bluffing for about 2 weeks now but it seems like it has been for ever. Don’t loose your temper or she may hold it against you. Just act like it doesn’t bother you.

Does she sit on your shoulder? If she does she will bite your ears and will not come down with out a fight. Be careful of you nose, lips and especially eyes. During this hormonal period they can get very vicious and strike with out warning. So please be careful and please don’t loose your temper.

i hope this will help?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Thanks for the understanding. I think I am going to give her a day or so of no touch. Let her keep coming to me on her terms when out of the cage. On her terms when in her cage, being calm and soft with her.

The viciousnous was shocking. Hurt my feelings actually.
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

he may feel dominant if u let it on his terms
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

That is my main concern. This hen is ruling the roost.
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

just show that the bites don’t bother you and when she does something wrong just put her in the cage and ignore her until she settles and comes to you when u want.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Day 3 and India is still in a bad mood. I am keeping her out of the cage but allowing her to go back in when she wants and leaving the door open. She lives in her food dish and is still refusing my hand feedings. I am going to miss feeding her, already do. She was sooooo cute when feeding hehe.

I didnt realize she was going to up and ween herself one day :(

Hind-sight 20/20, I should have handled her as rough as the breeder. I couldnt though and I think that is when India won pecking order.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

India's mood has improved since her second wing clipping. Now, realizing she needs me when she gets in places she doesnt like to be (floor), she squacks for me to come help her. HUGE trust builder. Before, she had massive flight ablity... took off like a bald eagle. Now, she can only flutter safely to the ground. She knows she needs me now so she is alot nicer.