Help Needed to ID a parrot.

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Clare

Help Needed to ID a parrot.

Post by Clare »

This parrot was found at the school I work at and we are trying to find its owners. Can anyone tell from these pictures (sorry, room was dark and the bird wouldn't stay still!) what kind of bird it is. I am guessing a green cheek conure. We are going to call local radio stations to report it and we want to get it right.

Also the tag on its leg has SA9 - 344. What does this mean?

The bird was found in Mackay in QLD, Australia.

Thanks

greeny

Post by greeny »

Looks like a creen cheek to me. Poor little guy, lucky for him you found him. Good luck tracing his owners.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep a green cheek conure
Here look for yourself :wink:

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=e ... nure&gbv=2

I think the tag on its leg will hold the breeders info and also the year of hatching. I am not sure who to contact to find out how to trace the numbers to the breeder or if you even can, then he might know who the owner is ??
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Cindy

Oh YES this is a Greeb Cheek Conure I have several

Post by Cindy »

Yes, this is a Green Cheek Conure..The only way to tell if male or female is DNA...They are such fun and easily tamed into cuddlers and loving snuggies...They need a cage similar to a Ringneck and they eat the same things Ringnecks do, maybe a little more fruit...Oh Conure can get Conure Bleeding Sydrome from lack of Vit. K so lots of yellow, orange and red fruits and veggies..If you had a better pic uner the wings or the belly I could tell you if it is a normal Green Cheek or a Yellowsided Green Cheek mutation. OH, very terrotorial, due not mix with other birds...Green cheeks do not know they are smal and think they are Macaws...tThey will attack a larger or smaller bird with no problems...Life span is up to 30 years, but most die by 10 years due to escaping (from not being clipped, very fast bird) or from be chomped on by a bigger bird it is attacking. However, I just love the GCC's and breed them...plus, I have 2 Indian Ringnecks and several other parrots..
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Great info on the Green Cheek, thanks for sharing your experience Cindy :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Clare

Thanks

Post by Clare »

Thanks for those posts. We have called every radio station, put up a few posters, and checked for lost ads in the paper and a local publication but haven't been able to find the owner. Its a shame because its a beautiful bird and I bet the owners are really missing it.

A staff member at the school is going to take it and keep it and I donated a few toys and food bowls.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

What a lovely looking bird. I'm so surprised that someone isn't looking for it.