Out for the night

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

donnanorm

Out for the night

Post by donnanorm »

We had to leave Gizmo out of the cage all night as trying to get him/her in was a nightmare,We try to get to the cage pretty quick to close the door when he/she pops in for something to eat,but we have been sussed :) I suppose the only way is resulting in getting wings clipped but we dont really want to result in that,any advice would be great.

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yoda did this to me too a few times. Now hes gotten used to me standing there waiting for him to step up or climb into the cage. After a while hes learned that when I say bedtime its bed time!
Have you tried only giving the treat when Gizmo goes into the cage? Try holding a treat. Make sure Gizmo knows its there and is interested then let him step up onto your hand/arm or lead him in with the treat if Gizmo wont step up. This is how I get Yoda to bed if he doesn't go there on his own and is being difficult.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
donnanorm

Post by donnanorm »

Gizmo is still very unsure of us so he/she will only step up onto a stick,when we get gizmo on the stick and go towards the cage he/she just flyies away,takes several attemps but to no avail just wont go back in.

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I would get him clipped, I know you don't want to, but to get him use to you enough to be able to begin to train him properly, you are going to have to make him reliant on you first.

Again this is only my opinion but its a very strong one with me. I believe it is the fastest and most effective way for you and your fid to get familiar with each other. Otherwise you may be losing prescious time.

Flight can be allowed to return later once he understand all your commands and that you are the boss.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

donnanorm

Post by donnanorm »

how long does it take for the flight feathers to return to normal then,would you say that gizmo will get used to not being able to fly very quickly,weve not handled gizmo so with having the wings clipped would make it easier, but would he/she be agressive towards us as not being able to fly away.

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

They get use to not being able to fly, very quickly. He will start to learn to climb around things and up things. If he is clipped correctly he will still be able to glide down from low heights and be able to half leap/flap across from one place to another.

Its strange but mostly in my experience it seems to humble them and tame them down, they no longer have the upper hand so they seem to become less aggressive for that reason.

On first having him clipped I would keep him in his cage for a little while and then find a time and a place that is quiet and small ? bathroom, small bedroom. And work with him there, to let him get the feeling and realisation he cannot fly, and that you are not going to hurt him. A small room so that he cannot run and flap very far.

Take favorite treats and a gentle approach and let him get curious and come to you.

Some people worry about having to use a cloth to catch them, but remember there is a technique some use .. toweling.. where they wrap their fids up in a towel and get them use to being handle and close enough to get familiar with them as not an enemy.

Anyway .. these are all just my thoughts and suggestions. Its up to you what you do with your baby :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless