untamed IRN's

Moderator: Mods

Mitchy_3

untamed IRN's

Post by Mitchy_3 »

Hi, Me and my brother have just bought 2 IRN's from a breeder they are 12 months old. they are untamed and every time we go to the aviary they fly to the other side, they are the only birds in the aviary. How do we stop them from flying away?(we don’t want to clip there wings.) We would also like to know how we can make them not to be scared of us and let us hold them?1 of our ringnecks is green split yellow and the other 1 is Blue split grey. we were researching on what birds to buy and we chose Indian ringnecks because of the information on this site. any help would be appreciated.
carly

Post by carly »

Hi, its nice to see another aussie, im in QLD

unfortunately i dont think you will have much luck taming your birds in the avairy. while its possible to tame older birds, you generally need to spend lots of time with them and have them by themselves. im assuming they have been at the breeder's avairy with lots of other birds, and they havent been handled before. do you know what sex they are? are they a pair?

i used to have a few pairs of breeding ringnecks in my avaries and they were always very flighty birds. they will get better in time as they get used to you and your routine. try to feed them at the same time every day and to give them lots of yummy foods. the only way my breeders would be at the same end of the avairy as me was if i had their favourite food (corn on the cob). they will get used to you and not get as scared when you enter the avairy, and you might even be able to get them to eat from your hand, but i think you would be very lucky to get them tame enough to let you 'hold them'. patience and treats are the key though.

ringnecks are great birds and beautiful to have in the avairy, and if you are planning to breed them perhaps a better option than trying to tame the parents will be to keep one of their babies as a pet.

i keep a pair of ringnecks as pets, but i have had both of them from a young age (one i bred myself and the other i bought as a hand reared baby).
mixsetup

Untamed

Post by mixsetup »

Hi mine was about 2 to 3 when I got him he was in an aviary with 5 others I didn't know he was hand reared but he wouldn't come near me but I got him to come closer and closer with food. The others didn't like him when he got the food so now he is inside but after I put him in a cage and kept putting my hand in he came and stood on my hand. So you can try food then you can put one at a time in a cage and see if they tame down if they do you can keep them in a cage or try them in an aviary again. As I said mine was a mature ringneck about 2 or 3 with his ring. I keep him in a cage as a pet inside now.