Rewarding Treats...

Moderator: Mods

fred.e

Rewarding Treats...

Post by fred.e »

Hi All,

I was wondering, as Austin get's seed and fresh fruit daily, what treat's I can give him that he will love that is healthy as I want him to be rewarded with something that once he gets used to is also good for him.

Originally he loved the mixed buja (which was spicy and I think pretty salty). He absolutely loved them but realised if he gets used to this it can't be good for him in the long term. I tried a packet of dried fruit treats, and he hasn't touched them and has no interest whatsoever in them, even when I had only them in the cage with no fruit or seed.

Any healthy treat recommendations would be great.

Thanks, fred.e
carrie

Post by carrie »

I know my little guy loves pine nuts. I know they're a little fatty - but I use them to reward him when he wolf whistles (he's just started to learn it) and he loves them!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello Fred.e,

Good question. It’s good to hear you feed your ringneck a variety of foods. As funny as this may sound, stick with fruits. Ringnecks will always work for any kind of food no matter what they are doing. Try a mango, papaya, or strawberries. Use tropical fruit that your ringneck has not tried. You should just experiment with different foods until you see what your ringneck likes.

You’re going to laugh, but my ringneck loves, I MEAN LOVES, Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula. He will do anything for this treat and it’s really healthy for him too! :wink:

If you are getting into training, try using praise. My ringneck, Archimedes, really works for my attention. See how that goes.

Hope this helps and best wishes, :wink:

I.C.
Tweets

Post by Tweets »

Hi there..
Just a quickie..
I heard that unless strawberries are TOTALLY organic, they are really really bad for birds due to the pestacides etc that are used on them..

Just a note of warning.. use it, dont use it..
**shrug**
Sami
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Good point! Yes, it's always a good idea to wash fruits/veggies REALLY well. You never know what they spray on them. Or you could go totally organic.

Best Wishes,

I.C
colettec2000

irn treats

Post by colettec2000 »

HI,
My ringneck loves Lafeber's Avi-Cakes. They are organic and he goes crazy for them. :lol:

Good Luck,
COLETTE