advice please!

Moderator: Mods

Gordi

advice please!

Post by Gordi »

My IRN seems to be getting worse. Thought the behaviour was due to bluffing but its been going on for some time now. He/she is almost 2. I spend every moment i am at home with Jayjay. But he/she is more interesting attacking various things around the houses. The first obsession was the garbage bin - this has now been removed from the kitchen. Now its the bottom of my cupboard doors in the kitchen. Dont know what is so enticing but my IRN will walk along the floor and just start attacking the bottom of the cupboard door and start screeching. I know all parrots are different but when i watch the videos that people have posted here my IRN sounds nothing like them. I have not clipped his wings but he doesnt really fly around alot. He walks around on the floor and will fly up to his cage. I feel that clipping his wings could make the problem worse. As he seems to 'attack' things that are on the floor. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am trying my hardest to be patient - is my IRN just being a rebelious teenager???
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

To the contray, clipping always tames down a bird. Because then they need us.

Can you post an example? Sounds like he is playing to me. Does he growl?
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Clip those wings! With IRNs, once they get the chance to fly, that's it...it's all over. Screw the human I am free kinda thing...once you get those done things should quiet down...

Dani
angie

Post by angie »

Do you have wood around for him/her to chew on.. Natural branch perches, icypole sticks, cuttle fish, wooden toys from the bird stores, even an old leather belt, he may just want to excercise and sharpen his beak.

Try distracting him with other toys or things he can chew and play with. Old wooden childrens toys are great, screwed up paper is a favorite for my babies to throw around and rip apart. I know its a little messy, but vacuuming up paper is better than replacing furniture.

Good luck and have patience ... by the look and the sound of it I get the distinct feeling your baby is probably a boy just becoming an adult and wanting to practice his adulthood.
angie

Plus Mickey and Mallory (now placed in a new home as a breeder) the wild females, Mickey is now paired with Kai and they are about to be parronts.
Gordi

Post by Gordi »

thanks guys ... i never clipped the wings cause i knew flying was their best form of exercise but i am slowing realising that this could be a major factor in the rebellion. For a IRN who has never been clipped - what kind of reaction should i expect? Will my IRN totally freak out that after 2 yrs he can not fly???
He/she does have lots of toys to play with and chew on but toys are easily forgotton when there is furniture around. I was starting to think that my IRN was a female - slight grey ring and the behaviour seems to be more female but who knows!
I will try get a video up of him/her - not very good at these things - but i will try. The main sounds i here are a clucking (like a chicken) when He/she is sitting with me then total screeching.
iaowings

Post by iaowings »

I have seen birds that are 5 years old who never had their wings clipped get them clipped. Usually they try to fly fall to the ground look around like what the hell, they may try a couple more times but usually get the idea and quickly learn to deal with it. the first time they have to rely on you to get up off the floor can be a bit humbling for them.