G'day G'day

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

MysteryDevil

G'day G'day

Post by MysteryDevil »

G'day :) I'm Jess, I'm from South-West Victoria, Australia, and I'm a soon to be owner of an IRN . He/She is actually my 10yo sons, Seth, Christmas present and has only just hatched a week ago so it'll be 6 or so weeks before we get him/her, so we're currently sorting out housing etc. My son has been asking for a bird since he could talk haha And he's finally reached the maturity level where he can have one. We've had dogs since he was born, we've also had guinea pigs and ferrets lol I had birds when I was younger and always wanted them again, my dream is a blue & gold macaw lol My friend recently got a breeding pair of blue IRNs and we're getting a bub from its first clutch of 3. She's having it DNA'd and we won't be getting it till it's completely weaned. We're currently doing lots of research and setting up our house so of course I have plenty of questions. The plan is to have he/she out of the cage and part of the family, roaming wherever 90% of the time. My FIL is quite a talented woodworker and is building many perches for around the house. And it's sleeping cage will be in my sons room. I'm just curious as to how big a cage we'll need if it's just to sleep in? And also, which sex talks more? My son is very keen to teach it to talk lol And has been talking nonstop about names, he has a few chosen but wants to meet it first to be sure haha
Can't wait till our feathered friend joins us and I can post here more :)
court

Re: G'day G'day

Post by court »

Hello Jess :)
My sleeping cage is 16'x16' and fits well on a side table or dresser. It's big enough for two perches and a couple of small toys.

I have a 5 year old and he adores our IRN the only thing I've found is that he does better with me doing the handling and him interacting with the bird on his perches and cage. My son got his first bird at 2 and just loves them. It works well as long as the parent realizes that they will be doing most of the work :P

Good luck with your new baby. Keep us updated.