Health Care

Moderator: Mods

AussieGirl

Health Care

Post by AussieGirl »

Hi Everyone!
I have had my little Aussie for just a week now, he (or she) is about 5 months old. I am just wondering what I need to do to can him in A1 Health. Do I need to get him vaccinations? Any treatments for lice? Worms? Fleas? :?
I am very new at this, and I want to do the right thing.
Also, I have heard if they have too much Egg & Biscuit Mix, they can die? Is this true? What is the right amount to give them?
I have also heard that some foods are poisoness to them, what are some of these?
AussieGirl
daisy chain

health care

Post by daisy chain »

I have a two year old. At approximately a year old I took her to an avian vet for a check up. He checked her weight and we discussed her diet. He told me to get her off seed and switch to pellets. He clipped her wings and nails and taught me the proper way to do it myself. He just gave her the once over. It is probably a good idea to do this every once in a while. No injections or anything were given just some good piece of mind advice.
Jodie

questions

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I have not heard anything about egg and biscuit mix. I do know that you do not give your bird chocolate, caffiene, and lettuce.
Ringnecks can get things. There is the wire disease where they nibble on their unclean cage and digest zinc. To prevent this clean your cage good with vinegar. There are others such as polyoma virus and chlamydia. You can find out more information on these at avianbiotech.com They offer these test much cheaper than the vets office. I am not saying don't take your bird to the vet, I am saying it is cheaper to have the tests through avain biotech. They can get mites. It really depends on where you get your bird from. If you only have the one five month old you probably have nothing to worry about. If you have other birds, they might could give each other something. I don't mean to scare you, I am trying to inform you. I hope this helps!