Hello everyone, I am a new adopted mama.

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

cdasilva

Hello everyone, I am a new adopted mama.

Post by cdasilva »

Hi everyone,
I just recently got a beautiful 20+ year old Indian Ringneck from someone who could no longer care for him. I have been obsessively reading you forum for the past two days and although there is so much good information, it is a bit overwhelming. His name is Dede and he has always eaten parrot mix which seems to consist mainly of seeds. If I am understanding the information that I have read, this is not very healthy for him because IRNs need more variety in their diet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to incorporate the necessary variety into his diet.
I am a new bird mama. (I have never owned a bird) I want to do this right.
MissK

Re: Hello everyone, I am a new adopted mama.

Post by MissK »

Hi and welcome. I am *thrilled* to hear you have taken in an older, second hand bird and are looking to do the best for him. :D

I have a "new" 16 year old, myself, and a 12 year old I got a few years ago. I was recently counseled to take it slow in converting the "new" bird to a better diet, because of his age. My vet suggested to take no less than 4 weeks to do it, though I would expect it may take longer from the bird's point of view. :lol:

You do well to read a lot about diet as there are different and conflicting opinions on the matter and you will have to sift through them to find your own way. I, personally, believe that seed does have a place in the diet. I also believe our birds should be maintained with a willingness to eat pellets, both for some nutrients that are added to them and because if they are rehomed they may need that skill. Fresh greens, vegetables, fruits, and nuts also have a place in the diet.

Some people have a lot of success feeding their birds a "chop" mix (chopped fresh foods possibly with grains, seeds, pellets added). My birds generally get their fresh foods on a skewer or clip, or in a dish, but I am going to pursue changing them over to a chop as well, mostly for the benefit of the new guy who seems to exist solely on sunflower, safflower, and peanut. :o Here is a link to a very well respected person's article on feeding parrots: http://www.parrothouse.com/pamelaclark/ ... anion.html

It's great to feed the birds a healthy mix of food, but you should not neglect to offer them foraging opportunities. Foraging, essentially, is when the bird must do some work to get the food, either locating or extracting the food, or both. There are puzzle feeders on the market, but you can also make your own challenges. If your bird has never foraged before he may need to learn how.
-MissK
cdasilva

Re: Hello everyone, I am a new adopted mama.

Post by cdasilva »

Thanks MissK. I will be following up on those resources and hopefully implementing some tactics!