Need help getting irn out of cage

Moderator: Mods

zabair

Need help getting irn out of cage

Post by zabair »

Need help getting IRN out of cage
Hello so i have just brought 2 IRN(same cage and they have been together since they were born) 2 day ago and they have made exceptional progress they let me come right next to their cage without making a fuss and even allowed me to clean there cage whilst they were inside...however when left the cage door open they would not leave...any suggestions on how to get them out??

Ps they have not eaten from my hand yet and they just look at it.. Please dont hesitate to advice me to what to do next

I am new to this site so please dont criticise if i posted in the wrong place

If i shouldnt try to get it out of its cage then what should i do
Donovan

Re: Need help getting irn out of cage

Post by Donovan »

just leave the door open.. you don't want to -make- them come out if they're not ready or not comfortable.. otherwise they'll associate coming out of the cage as being something they're forced to do...

you have to make them -want- to come out... determine their favorite treat and put it at the edge of the opening... or move their food bowl to the edge of the opening or just outside the opening...

i recently dealt with the opposite.. getting my bird to go -in- to a new cage. I used food to do it.. I put some very enticing food just on the inside of the cage so he had to reach in to get it... i did that a few days then moved the food bowl a little further in.. eventually he went inside... it's been two weeks and he's now willingly going into that cage to have his food and to go to bed....... granted, I can't say he's happy with the new setup because he's not playing with his toys right now but i'm confident that eventually he will....

I had to do some damage control with this cage.. first time he went in for food i shut the door and trapped him inside. He hadn't even started eating yet and was instantly scared and wanting out badly...
That's another story though.

Thing is... it's all about motivation.. it's not about "making" your birds leave the cage as much as it is encouraging them to want to.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Keep in mind, also, that you've only had them two days. They've got a lot to assimilate in their little bird brains. Let them relax. If you leave the door open and offer a treat on the outside, that is plenty, and all you should do. NOTE: It would be best, once they do come out, that they already understand how you present their food, and that you are the one bringing food and the very yummy treats. Important, because that's how you are going to lure them back into the cage!
-MissK
zabair

Post by zabair »

OK so i shouldn't force them out but i should lure them out likewise also lure them back in....

also i was letting them out 2/3 hours beforehand i had removed there feeding bowls so that i could show them i was placing that back in and some juicy treats so they would re-enter? is that a ok idea and would it work?

lastly any tips on getting them to eat apples from my hand...they just sit there and watch till i eventually feel sorry for them and drop it in..
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

With my bird I just dropped apple pieces into her dish and she started coming up and grabbing them from me within a few days. I never tried to make her take them from me.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I have to weigh in again, saying you've only had them three days now. Let them go at their own speed. Please try to be patient.
-MissK
zabair

Post by zabair »

Thanks for the replies but the white bird came and tool apple from the bars of tr cage and so did the green one eventually. However once my cousins came over ad left they are not eating from my hand no more and retreat to their safety perch everytime i walk in and have completely stopped there birdie noises such as chirping or squacking..i have not had time to let them out cuz i have been busy any advice is much appreciated
zabair

Post by zabair »

Scratch that there eating infront of me at the moment however the noises and handfeeding still counts