My First IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

cookiebrown

My First IRN

Post by cookiebrown »

Hey I'm Tom, I recently acquired myself a green female IRN. Of which I've named Roxy. This is my first bird as a pet I have ever owned.
I got her from a pet shop, they believe she is about 8 months old. She is very timid and wary of people to start with. She would always jump to the opposite side of the cage you are stood on. Guessing she hasn't been handled for a longtime or at all.
I thought to myself with a bit of time and patience, I should be able to tame her and settle her down. Once she is out of the busy shop atmosphere, of constantly having strangers peering in and poking at the cage.
I had bought a cage ready for getting a bird, which she is now in.
It is 19" x 19" x 43". Which has been kitted out with a few perches and toys.
I have had her 9 days now and she has began to calm and become more trusting.
She has even start to make noises more within the past day or two too which is good.
At first I could not put my hand in the cage with out her going crazy.
But now I am able to coax her with millet spray, for her to happily eat near my hand.
Suprised my arm hasn't fell off yet doing it waiting for her to come and take a bite, it did take a long time for her to come close.
Bit by bit she is getting closer and gaining more confidence/trust all the time.
I am not able to handle her as of yet, as she will not let me get that close without food.
I am just wondering am I going in the right direction with her, as with not handling her yet. Should I just give her time to get used to and completely comfortable with my hands. Before I attempt to get her to step up. As I don't feel it would be right forcing her if she is nervous or scared.
Wessel Gordon

Re: My First IRN

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi Tom

I can only speak for myself and past experiences so other people might disagree but it seems you are on the right track. Let her be completely comfortable with your hands close to her. You might be a while off with this but I would try and hold her favourite treat in my hand while keeping absolutely still (hand wide open with the treat just laying there for her to see)...with lots of patience she might end up on your hand to get to the treat and I'd take the handling from there. Even if she did jump up on my hand I would probably not try and touch her the first few times as to not scare her off and undo all the hard work.

Having said that: IRN's all have different personalities, some has no problem being handled and some are only handled if you have good medical cover. In my collection I have 5 birds of which I'm only able to touch one - and that's always on her terms. Her male will actually come closer and wait for his treat and take it from my hand but he doesn't like being touched. Of my other three birds the adult male I have the longest I was never able to touch. As for the other two newest members of the flock (a young chick of about 3 months and a mature hen) I'm hoping to get them to the point of at least accepting treats from my hands in a few months. So it just depends on the bird and how much time and effort you are willing to commit to this.

My advice is to keep on doing what you're doing and let her make the first move. If she feels threatened or pushed to do something she doesn't want to in any way all the trust you built so far might go out of the cage-door and you will never get it back. Let her show you with what she's comfortable and build from there.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Tom,

Recall the classic tale of the tortoise and the hare; slow and steady *does* win this race. I agree overall with Wessel, though I have to point out one thing different in my experience with my different bird. I found that Rocky was able to get over some unwelcome treatment (toweling to catch him when he really needed to be caught) with which he was *very* unhappy. It did take several months. So, if you want to save yourself several months of lost time and repeating yourself while the bird learns to see past it, refrain from trying those unwelcome tactile advances too soon.

I would like to note that I think the cage you described would serve quite nicely as a sleeping overnight cage, perhaps in your bedroom, but that for every day your bird should have something larger. Putting the bird to bed in a sleep cage may simulate the bird's natural tendency to travel "home" to roost after a day of foraging afield. I did notice that when my bird slept in my bedroom for a short while he made some very rapid progress in the taming area. Sadly, we were not able to continue this because of my dogs in the bedroom, but if we find a way around that, certainly he will be a welcome slumber guest.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Hallo Tom and Roxy welcome,

I think if you sit by the cage and talk to Roxy about candle lit suppers and stars in the night sky, and eat your meals in front of the cage. Roxy will want to eat meals in the cage with you. Inter reaction is important, 9 days are not long enough in time to train and expect results. "Slow Slow catchee monkey or in your case IRN