Found our missing bird but advice needed

Moderator: Mods

Daniel.lloydwilliams

Found our missing bird but advice needed

Post by Daniel.lloydwilliams »

Well we got our little man back yesterday !!!! YAY

after 10 days in the wild he had flown to a place about 2 miles from here. We set up his cage in the back garden of a lady who had spotted Rio in her garden 2 days before and he kept popping back.

So what advice can you guys give me to make sure he is in tip top shape, He seems to have a small cut above his back talon that seems to be causing some discomfit. He is walking very slowly and keeps standing on one leg for a minute before swapping... this carries on for about an hour.
He is chirping like old but not talking... He does make a sound like he wants to talk but it sounds a bit dry.
He also looks tired and ruffles up his feathers at about 6pm like he ready for bed....
His tail feathers looked snapped in one or 2 places as well..

I went to see the local vet as soon as I knew he was on his way home to make a appointment but he seems like he really did not care. when asked if I should leave it till after the weekend so he is not to stressed, His reply " Well the worst that can happen is he has a heart attack and drops down dead"
not really what I wanted to hear... I want my vet to want to look after my bird, not if he turns up dead o well !!!

Also need to find a way to get him in a pet carry... he hates them and when we take one near he flys off

cheers all
InTheAir

Re: Found our missing bird but advice needed

Post by InTheAir »

Congratulations! That's great!
I'd try a different vet. If I am going to pay a vet to look at my bird, I feel like I am paying them to at least pretend give a stuff about my bird :oops:

Teaching him to go in a carrier will likely take some time, especially if he already dislikes it.
Feeding him treats on it, around it and then in it is a very reliable way to teach him it is safe.
Also leave it in sight of his cage, so he realises it is just a normal household object.

I use little budgie cages for travel cages. I find my birds don't mind going into a small cage, but are pretty hesitant about climbing into a dark space.

I am guessing you need to use the carrier sooner than it will take to get him trained to walk in to it? In that case, I would just gently restrain him towel him from his cage and transfer him to the carrier. He may not be happy about that, but seeing a vet is too important to miss.

Regards,
Claire
MissK

Re: Found our missing bird but advice needed

Post by MissK »

Congratulations on getting your bird back. I think you were seriously fortunate. Obviously he managed to survive, but if it were my bird I would be most likely to push hydration with wet foods like melon. My thinking is that water is the most important thing we all need to live, and if he might possibly be under-hydrated, this should not wait for correction.

Also have a care that your vet is really a certified avian vet. If not, my opinion is that you might largely be just wasting money. Definitely you should see about that foot.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to post what made the critical difference in locating and regaining your bird, that others might take some direction and encouragement?
-MissK