Help!!

Moderator: Mods

Tilly1love

Help!!

Post by Tilly1love »

Hi all,
Just a quick question.. When putting chicks in the hot water cardboard do I need to put any water in there as well? As I know you have to do this with brooders.
Unfortunately I don't have a brooder or incubator. Just recently I have pulled 3 chicks out of the nest that are around 4wks this Saturday. I didn't really want to take them away from their mum but I have already killed a rat with a spade and there's still another one in my aviary that wont eat the rat bait. I'm scared they might've killed my chicks otherwise as its only just recently come. Also last year I lost a whole clutch to the heat as it gets very very hot in there at times.
Would love to hear some advice..on whether of not i need to put water in with the chicks in the hot water cardboard? It's properly a really silly question but I need to know, I don't want them getting dehydrated!? :/
Thanks!
Ring0Neck

Re: Help!!

Post by Ring0Neck »

If they are around 4wks they'll be fine. No water, unless you live in drastically dry climate.
At that age, no need for brooder either. just a safe box , make sure they are getting air, and no way for them to get out or other animals to get access to them, such as cats etc.
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Tilly1love

Re: Help!!

Post by Tilly1love »

Thankyou soo much! :D I'm quite attached to the lil creatures and would hate to do something wrong! :o