Coloring a Ringneck please

Moderator: Mods

bobbettevt

Coloring a Ringneck please

Post by bobbettevt »

I have a new male breeder that is green but his flight feathers are yellow, both the top and the underneath. What color would you say he is. My husband says split lutino but that doesn't seem right. Could he be pied? Thank you for any help on this
sheyd

Re: Coloring a Ringneck please

Post by sheyd »

bobbettevt wrote:I have a new male breeder that is green but his flight feathers are yellow, both the top and the underneath. What color would you say he is. My husband says split lutino but that doesn't seem right. Could he be pied? Thank you for any help on this
Green probably- do you have a picture? Sounds as though it might be missing its central tail feathers (which would be blue) which would make the rest of the tail yellowish -on the top and underneath, also it is normal colouring for a Green to have yellow feathers under the wings.

Your bird could be split for other mutations- but until you breed it (or unless you know the parentage) you won't know.

hope this helps :)

ps- a bird can't be split for Lutino/Albino- only for Ino
Last edited by sheyd on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbettevt

Post by bobbettevt »

Thank you. I will post a picture when i get a chance. It is not his tail feathers though, His main flight feathers are pure yellow. I know that the underneath of most of their feathers are yellow but flight feathers are usually green on a regular green bird. These are bright yellow. Let me get a picture of him so you can look at him.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

yeah, definitely would like to see a pic- sounds interesting

In the meantime, here are normal Wildtype Greens for comparison:
http://www.cere-india.org/backyard-biodiversity.html
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Shey

Do you want to rephrase this:

the word "can't" is not appropriate
a green/ino not split for blue is in fact green/lutino, yes?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ring0Neck wrote:Shey

Do you want to rephrase this:

the word "can't" is not appropriate
a green/ino not split for blue is in fact green/lutino, yes?
As I understand it, Ino is the gene and Lutino (or Albino) is the mutation- therefore it would be incorrect to say split to Lutino/Albino- when they are split to Ino- and depending on what the split (Ino) bird is paired with, could produce both genotypes of Lutino(green) or Albino(blue).

Hope I've explained this correctly- as I know I need to polish up..
salsapicante

Post by salsapicante »

I really do not understand any of the mutation split / pied, etc. verbiage. Is there a breeding for dummies site or something which explains this to a novice? I'm mostly just curious. Not planning on breeding or anything. Thanks much :) I love this site.
trabots

Post by trabots »

You need to get Terry Martin's book called 'Colour Mutations & Genetics in Parrots'. It can be purchased from www.birdkeeper.com.au.