Right foods for a ringneck?

Moderator: Mods

elaine

Right foods for a ringneck?

Post by elaine »

I know there are some things that you cannot feed a ringneck but I haven't heard anything about tomatoes. Is it ok to feed irns tomatoes?
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

My Prinny adores tomatoes. Never hurt her so far...she will beg for peices. So as far as I know they are fine and great :wink:

The only things they should NOT be given are avacados, anything with caffine or sugar

Dani and Prinny
elaine

Post by elaine »

Thanks for the info. I love to see my Smokeys reaction to new foods......It's really like a baby. I will give him a tomatoe and watch what he does...
Xenobia

Post by Xenobia »

Well, IRNs eat just about anything.

I've heard tomatoes aren't really good for parrots because of the high acidic content. BUT they're not DANGEROUS for them - I'd assume just give your birdie tomatoes as an occasional treat.
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

avacado, caffine, chocolate, sugar, salt, and apple seeds are all bad.

i have read on this site that brocoli, and spinach are good for them but not to much they chemically bond/accumulate too much. and it isnt so good they kind of o.d. on it. the same with sunflower seeds they are fatty

apples are o.k. but not the seeds or the little cavity in the core that holds the seed i will have to look in one of my books again but the seeds of some other fruits and plants arent so good for most birds
natalie

no onion or citrus pips

Post by natalie »

Elo all, I have read that they shouldnt eat onion or citrus pips either, or antthing fried. My marley likes carrots and runner beans and garden peas.But he also loves them sunflower seeds. He was already addicted befor he came to me, i've read so many places that they are fatty and im trying to introduce as much fruit and veg to compensate for his habbit. Marleys 2 favourite things that i can tempt him to eat from my hand time after time are grapes[ cut in half, he doesnt like them whole][ yes i know wot a spoilt brat] He also loves that other naughty treet millet.
To handle yourself use your head, to handle others use your heart.xx
elaine

Post by elaine »

Thank you for your help. I have only given him tomatoes twice now over the last week I or should I not give it to him with the little seeds in the middle. I have been cutting it up and scooping out the soggy centre bit, am I being over caucious here.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Elaine...it is better to be cautious than reckless when dealing with these birds. Normally though, it rule of thumb around here is if I wont eat it I am not going to feed it to her. Just don't feed anything from these lists you read here!

Dani and Prinny
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

The fruit is fine, the plant is deadly.

:)

Athena
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

I read on the Harrisons Bird Food manual given to me by my vet: ... Did you know that offering your cockateel/ parrot a single grape as a treat, is equivalent to offering 460 grapes to a 120 pound person. WOW! :shock:
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Jeepers that crazy! :shock: My tiel, Milo, is afraid of other foods. He will only eat his pellets, an occasional Pringle, and maybe a bite of popcorn. But other than that he cowers from other foods. Oh but he does love Millet.

Jen
natalie

is that good or bad

Post by natalie »

:? So is is still ok for marley to eat 10 grapes a day!? Marley was given a poor diet of sunflower seeds and monkey nuts in his last home, he is very wary of new foods. I,ve got him to eat quite a few bits and pieces gradually though, but he too loves that millet. :roll: Natalie xx
julie

Post by julie »

indie wants everything that he sees us eat hes not fussey at all sometimes i wish he was.what is millet???
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Grapes are mostly water...

If he's eating that many I bet he has some seriously watery poo... :(

I max mine out at 3 a day, and thats if they are really begging for them. Normally they get a half of one as a treat.

Athena
natalie

oh no

Post by natalie »

Millet, erm how do i explain that, i thought they have it everywhere. Its a long tendral covered in millets seeds, can anyone else describe it better than that.
As for over doing it on the grapes, marleys poo is a little wet :shock: but not all the time so now i must stop going mad with the grapes. I make the whole family eat bucket loads of them :lol: thanks for the advice, i thought i was doing what was best, how wrong was I :( poor marleys bottom. natalie xx
michelle999

Post by michelle999 »

Ringo eats around 4 - 5 grapes a day and unfortunately still eating seed, although i do offer him pellets all day and he gets fresh fruit & veggies twice a day, but he throws them all on the floor...he also gets millet every other day and i share one between Chico (the cockatiel) and Ringo..and his favourite......peanuts......he would kill for them!!!! :shock:
Xenobia

Post by Xenobia »

My vet told me that it's okay for ringnecks to eat SOME seed. They are rather active birds and it doesn't tend to cause obesity in them as much as in other species. They just should be on a pellet diet as a staple and get plenty of dark green, orange and yellow vegetables. Sweet potatoes, chard, mustard greens, spinnach, pumpkin, yellow peppers, etc.
Fruits are good, but more as treat foods.
(Busey LOVES pomegranate seeds!)
While sunflower seeds are not very good for them - other nuts like almonds and peanuts are okay as treats as well. Almonds have "good fat" in them, but should only be fed raw, not roasted or salted!
(Busey will KILL for almonds!)
Whole grain breads and grains are good for them too!
natalie

found another list

Post by natalie »

After being woken by Archie my 3yr old son at 6.30am this morning i found myself back on the web just browseing as usual when i came upon another list of wot not to feed your IRN, its as follows.
No raw or green potatoe
no grapefruit
no lemons
no plums
no rhubarb [good more for me]
no dried fruit that has been treated in sulphur dioxide
and none of the cabbage family.
So hopefully someone learnt something new from the list. Nataliexxx :wink:
julie

Post by julie »

does anyone know why no plums???? indie has previously eaten plums.
natalie

Julie

Post by natalie »

The source i got this from didnt go into enuf details as to why you shouldnt feed fids plums, sorry :) natalie xx