Getting my Ringneck more used to me

Moderator: Mods

madmart33

Getting my Ringneck more used to me

Post by madmart33 »

Hiya my Indian Ringneck can step onto my finger however if I put my other hand anywhere near to him he will fly off my hand and onto the nearest object (top of door frame, top of my wardrobe) and im wondering what is the best way to get him used to me stroking him and hopefully in the end get him used to going onto my shoulder??????

What methods have other people tried in here???

Please help!!!

Many Thanks

Martin Dean
allira

Re: Getting my Ringneck more used to me

Post by allira »

Bumping for interest. I would also like to handle my bird like this in the future.
I imagine it would work by rewarding the bird with your other hand at first and then expanding it out to petting being the reward. I'm not too sure though.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Martin,

best wishes
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
madmart33

Post by madmart33 »

Hiya Ive tried that but he just flies off my hand and onto his Java tree"!!!! I think it be best with small steps ie putting the treat within grabbiong distance and then further and further away up myu arm???? Would you suggest that or what other methods would you suggest for me to try and triain him to get more used to me???
MissK

Post by MissK »

Maybe go slower, more food lures.

-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Martin,

Slow and steady wins the race.

Subodh
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Martin,

Have you tried giving him treats with the other hand while he's perched on you so he associates your hand coming towards him with food?

In regards to petting I am getting the impression that they are not like dogs and will only accept pats when they want one. I don't have a vast range of experience, from reading and our own bird. We have a very friendly young ringneck who loves a good scratch on the head and neck in some circumstances and fall asleep on you while you scratch him - when he's in the mood. If he's in an active mood and you try to pat him he will edge away a bit, if you persist he will just fly off. When he started moulting he really started to like having his head groomed, to help desheaf new feathers he can't reach, so it's worth trying to take advantage of that.

I think ringnecks are a lot like children, but even more opinionated.

Patience and ability to use bribery effectively are prerequisites for ringneck ownership ;p

Claire