Is this Olive?

Moderator: Mods

willowisp71

Is this Olive?

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi, just wondering if the experts can tell me if this young IRN is actually olive? (it's being advertised as such).

Also, if you could tell me what colour cock and hen are needed to produce an olive chick in the first place?

Regards Deb
Lushen1600

Re: Is this Olive?

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Deb, that chick is a greygreen, often mistaken for olive.

To produce olive you can use 2 darkgreen birds or 1 darkgreen and 1 cobalt

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Thanks Lushen :D
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Molossus - the bird is being advertised for sale on Gumtree (Perth, Western Australia). I live in Bunbury, a 2 hour drive south, so having a good look at it probably won't be possible. I'm probably not really interested in the olive anyway, just trying to get my head around different mutations and colours, and what outcomes are possible when breeding this colour cock with that colour hen etc etc etc :D

But thanks very much for your input. I'm finding all this genetics/mutations stuff absolutely fascinating, (yes, mind-boggling also :lol: ), but fascinating, to the point I'm even DREAMING about different combo's :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I am eagerly awaiting Mr Lushen's next GenCal lesson, as I've been playing with it, but still don't understand how to enter olives, or violets, greys, cobalts etc into it properly :!: (This is NOT a hint, Lushen, to hurry up or anything - I know your very busy at the moment with work/study and raising chicks :D ) I'm just thoroughly enjoying getting my head around this stuff :)
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

I found another pic of the bird in question that shows the tail feathers a little bit better.......

They look grey (?) to me.....what are your thoughts?

Regards Deb
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Willow, I will still say greygreen.

I will in future lesson, explain how to put olive, darkgreen, cobalt, mauve, violet, etc,...into the calculator, I know that you are not hinting for the next lesson, but I will try and do another lesson during this weekend.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Thanks Lushen, and yes I agree...those tail feathers say it all, really.......I've sent a message to the seller asking what the parents are, more out of curiosity though, as I'm really after either another blue, or perhaps a violet or cobalt, (although they are pretty scarce here in Western Australia, so don't like my chances :| )
Regards Deb
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Deb,

Who is selling the Olive? is this the add? Armadale WA "olive hand reared indian ringnecks"
if so i higly doubt it would be a real olive
There's a few breeders in WA that can get you a few birds.
Well known breeders also.

Obviously see what the breeder tells you in relation to the parents of this "olive"
My first guess would have been - grey-green violet (last pic shows in tail quiet a bit of violet/mauve)
could be an Olive
definetly not just a grey-green.
is the price high? if they're asking $100 or less then it can not be an olive, and depends who the seller is
photos are misleading depending a lot on light and camera used etc can dramatically change a color.

See a pic here of an olive
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=15223
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Many hand-raisers call grey-green an olive simply because of its looks rather then its real name.
in saying that, if the seller can prove and you can see the parents as: mauve X dark green
or Cobalt X Dark green or Dark green X dark green
for the money that that add is asking 200, i would buy it.
Parents will tell the story of the young birds genetic makeup, pics can be misleading. have a look at these 2 pics, same bird

]http://parakeet.me/irn/paleblue.jpeg
http://parakeet.me/irn/dr9.jpg
http://parakeet.me/irn/dr7.jpg
Last edited by Ring0Neck on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Ring0 - I've seen the advert you mentioned and no, it wasn't that ad. This was just one bird being offered by someone who couldn't keep it anymore. They replied to my query about parents, saying they didn't know as the bird was a 'gift'. They were asking $60 for it, then couple of days later posted another ad with the price of $50.

molossus - I never did get to see the bird myself to have a good look at those flights and tail feathers, but I'm pretty sure in the last photo I posted of the bird, it is just a different light that is maybe throwing the colour, In the very first pic, those feathers are quite grey. As well as being a keen amateur photographer, I also used to work in a photo lab, and had extensive training in colour analysis, so I can (usually!) tell when colours have been distorted through different light conditions (flash/outdoor natural/fluorescent/incandescent/PHOTOSHOP :lol: etc etc)

In the last 4 weeks, I have been pouring through photo's on the net, comparing the colour of birds found for sale with those on breeders websites, and madly punching in different coloutr combo's into the Gen Calc, (I think I have a new addiction :shock: ).

I could be totally wrong, but I'm not sure we have any true olives in Western Australia yet. So saying that, I'd be hopping mad if this WAS a true violet and I missed out on a $50 bird!! :lol:
Regards Deb
asifsuun

Post by asifsuun »

I really like this subject.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Deb,

Yes there is true Olive in WA & they are not cheap.

Ben
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Ring0

Oh! Cool :D

I haven't yet come across any breeders over here that have any, but perhaps they advertise in different circles that I haven't accessed yet :lol: Most of the breeders I've contacted so far have mostly blues, greys, pallids, greens and/or lutino's.....I came across one guy who had violets, but I missed out on his last clutch :(

What kinda average price are we talking for Olives normally? The violets over here are usually around the $350 mark.
Regards Deb
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Sent you an email.

Good breeders rarely advertise as most other breeders go to them.
sometimes they throw an add on Petlink but you can see them at bird shows and thier ads in bird mags.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Thanks Ring0 - got your email :D
Regards Deb