Can u teach a old bird new tricks?

Moderator: Mods

DOCH

Can u teach a old bird new tricks?

Post by DOCH »

hi, i have had my IRN for 10 years now, for the first few years it would just fly around the cage every time you went near it, then after about the 5th year it would start responding and trying to communicate but nothing more, only recently has it been more friendly and slowly started coming closer and sitting on shoulders and letting people stroke it,
its been in the main sitting room ever since we got it so its been around people and not neglected,
is it possible at this stage to teach it to talk or will it be extremely difficult?

Another thing is when its out of the cage it chews on every thing and shreds and rips it, eg sofas, curtains, chair upholstery , even wooden doors and frames,
do they all do this or is this a isolated case,

thankyou
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

The best way to help your bird is to spend alot of time with it, yes they chew the crap out of things so you have to give them their own toyds they can destroy.

It's possible to teach it to talk, but not all birds do this. I think the more it spends time with you and wants to communicat with you and actually listens to you, then it will want to talk more.