Occasional striking

Moderator: Mods

Alicia89

Occasional striking

Post by Alicia89 »

Hello
My Indian Ringneck is now 13 weeks old and over the past week he has developed the tendency to have a little strike at me. It happens randomly when he is sitting on my shoulder, like i will be talking to him when he's making a noise or trying to teach him words and then bam he just strikes at my face, like lunges but never bites. How do I stop this or get on top of it so it doesn't develop further into something more serious? He is beautiful and has so much talent already I just want to do things right.

Also I have noticed that he has started to do this when i go to take him out of his cage. In the past week I have upgraded him to 32" deluxe bono fido flight cage filled with toys to keep him entertained when I don't have him out. But every now and again when I go to take him out, he knows the command up which is to step up but he will lunge/strike at me then step up, again he doesn't actually bite or hold on as such.

As I am new to this forum is there a link where I can go to learn ways of training him to do tricks and talk etc, i just feel that he has a lot of potential, I see him learning more everyday.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)
likatiger

Re: Occasional striking

Post by likatiger »

Hey Alicia, it sounds like bluffing. check this link out http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ing#p77328 or do a search in the search tab at top of page and type bluffing in.
My fingers and ears are coping it atm :cry: :evil:
Alicia89

Post by Alicia89 »

Thank you very much for the link it has been really helpful. I also found the info section on bluffing which has been a great help too.

Hopefully it doesn't last too long :)
Alicia89

Post by Alicia89 »

Well I have been implementing all the techniques and tricks that I have found whilst researching and lets just say some days we have our good days then we have our bad lol.

I have noticed that he begins to strike more if he is hungry, like today he got me good on the neck hes actually broken the skin and he held on. So i took him back to his cage as a sort of time out i guess and he went straight inside to his food bowls...

He is 16 weeks old now... is there anything else i should or can be doing? I would like to have him so I don't have to worry about him biting people as all the other times he is so gentle and well natured its just the occasional strike/bite.