Zazu Falcon The Indian Ringneck...

Moderator: Mods

reslie

Zazu Falcon The Indian Ringneck...

Post by reslie »

Alright I have only had him for 3 days and I think we are making great progress... I am unsure of something and am asking for advice...

Question:
He teases me to let him out of the cage and even wants to get on my hand but as soon as he does he starts biting me... HARD saw like motion. I have at least 10 bite marks and 4 bled pretty good. I know that I am not supposed to move or say Ow! And I don't... right know I am sitting next to his cage and he is desperately wanting me to let him out. If I get close he wants to bite. He comes to me when I let him out of the cage and he'll take food from me but the biting is going to leave me scared if I don't figure out a better way to do it. Once he's been on my gloved hand he settles down after a half hour and settles down but than every once in a while he reaches up and goes for a bite. He keeps trying to sit up on my shoulder but I can't imagine being bit on the neck or face... I cringe just thinking about it.
So does he just hate me? Or what? He's 4 months old Gray lacewing is what the breeder told me. He was hand fed is eating well and drinking.
He paces back and forth when he wants out of his cage and some times goes up and down the bars. Otherwise he just hangs out in his cage and seems to be content. I want him/her to be happy and healthy and I want to not be too scared up as well.
Thanks for any help :o)
Melika

Re: Zazu Falcon The Indian Ringneck...

Post by Melika »

Have you tried the "earthquake"? When he goes for a bite, you shake your hand and he should be too busy keeping his balance to bite. He will figure out quickly that trying to bite means an "earthquake" happens. Some birds need a more severe earthquake than others. It's worth a try, and always the first solution I try since it is so simple.

I always have my thumb over the top of one of the feet of the parrot I am holding. During an earthquake they can't jump off the hand. This also seems to make them feel more secure. Hane KNOWS that if my thumb is on his foot, he needs to stay put no matter what happens around us and he is more likely to freeze on my hand than flap away if something scares him.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
reslie

Post by reslie »

I tried it today and he seemed to just get REALLY angry. But I will try it some more and see if it works. Eventually he will stop biting flesh right?
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

I have noticed that my bird is very aggressive if he can see his cage, or if he can see a mirror.
reslie

Post by reslie »

I took the mirror out of his cage. Which does seem to help. If I take him to the bathroom and sit on the floor with him he does a little better. Persistence is the key I guess. He was especially grumpy today. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey Reslie,

It makes me happy you are trying to solve this problem. Your ringneck is still very young and is trying to use biting as a tool to control you. I am very proud you are not reacting--this is the key :wink:. I promise, the more you interact with your ringneck and build up your confidence the biting will stop. It is like a nite and day difference. I have three and they are all very gentile. I had my old female ringneck Regan (I named her after the little girl in the exorcist) because she was a monster. She bit hard and drew lots of blood. But everything stopped as she matured and i could handle her anyway i wanted. Her biting almost lasted a year. Once she learned biting was no longer effective in controlling me--it all stopped. So keep doing what you are doing and hang in there! I promise, the best is yet to come!

Please keep us updated!

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

Thanks Imran, I needed to hear that too.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

I am happy to help. I think this phase is hard for many of owners to understand. It's simply a mechanism used to help the birds compete for food against other ringneck adults. But I promise, everything will settle down just continue to interact with your bird daily and ignore any unwanted behavior. :D

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C