Male albino ringneck in the nest box ???

Moderator: Mods

Heather

Male albino ringneck in the nest box ???

Post by Heather »

Hi, I have a breeding pair (or so I was told...) albino male, and a blue lacewing hen. The hen has been digging out the nest box and spending alot of time in there, but now the male is in there alot too. Is this normal? Since he is albino, I am just wondering if he is really a he. Aside from DNA testing, I dont know how to tell with him. Thanks,

Heather
Heather

Post by Heather »

anybody out there???
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Male IRNs are very involved in the breeding/nesting/feeding chicks process. Some males will spend a lot of time in the nest box some none. If she too is in there then dont worry too much, he will be making sure she is comfortable and has enough to eat and.... basically he is the perfect husband! :wink:

If he is in there and has kicked her out then maybe they need a divorce :shock:

I will let a breeder tell you anything I am missing as I just have a beautiful pet IRN and she has never seen a nesting box, so breeding is not my speciality. Good luck, I wouldnt worry too much, just wait it out and see if they produce anything.
-Chamon-

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Datsun and Family wrote:If he is in there and has kicked her out then maybe they need a divorce :shock:

LMAO @ Chamon

Hang in there Heather, I am not a breeder either, I just love reading every inch of this board to learn for future adventures. I am sure one of the breeders will be along shortly for confirmation of what D & F said or more info for you.

Cheers! & Good Luck
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

JULIE851973

Post by JULIE851973 »

hi heather,
Im not a big breeder or anything ive had 3 clutches of ring necks last season in all three of them both the hen and the cock bird worked the nest they both sat in the box alot of the time the cock bird feeding the hen and the chicks once they were born, so they really shared the load between them.But i have been told each pair can be very different some pple have cock birds who do nothing to help the hen.Hope this helps Julie...
Julie
Heather

Post by Heather »

Thanks, yes, that is what I was wondering. Looks like I have a good cock bird who is willing to pitch in! :lol:
julies

Post by julies »

did you know that your male albino irn is worth alot?
Most of the albinos around are hens and most chickes are hens,
This is in australia.
You can feel their pelvic bone, but this is not always correct, depending on how old the bird is.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Actually, there are plenty of Albino Cocks in Australia
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

One of the breeders I visited on saturday was so upset because he had just newly acquired an albino cock and it looks like someone had stollen it along with a few alexandrines .. Theft really sux in Aust. at the moment. He said a set of keys went missing and thinks somone he had shown through must have stollen the keys. :(
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Heather

Post by Heather »

Are male IRN"S valueable in the US as well ? I am going to have him DNA sexed but he is doing all the husbandly duties so far :D I will defiently have to keep him under lock and key !!!
skray

Post by skray »

Heather,
The albino ringneck in the US is worth about $200-250.00.
This male seems to be doing a good job attending him mate.

Kenny Ray
http://www.raysaviary.com
julies

Post by julies »

sorry just saying what i was told, jeremy are you in nsw?
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I am in QLD, Julie. :wink: