what brand of seed mix do you feed

Moderator: Mods

Codys Mom

what brand of seed mix do you feed

Post by Codys Mom »

none of my birds get seed unless it's a nutriberry a few times a week now I read that ringnecks need seed mix in their diet so what is the best kind of seed mix and if you have the link from the site you order it from would be very helpful ty
ellieelectrons

Re: what brand of seed mix do you feed

Post by ellieelectrons »

I don't feed seed to my guys. I used to give them budgie mix one day and alternate to pellets the next. I give them fresh fruit and veg daily. My avian vet told me to stop giving them seed and just give them pellets so now they only get seeds as treats.

I think there is a lot of debate about the best diet for parrots. A lot of people I respect feed their birds seed but I chose to follow my vet's advice.

In australia I won't buy seed for my birds from the supermarket. I used to but I found it is full of dust. I started buying it from a reputable pet store and now I buy it from the Parrot Society.

Ellie.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I feed mine Budgie mix with Sunflower Seed supplied once a week seperately. I give them Fruit and Vege each day. The main part of their diet is seed. I have never had a bird get sick or die. They breed every year and raise healthy chicks. I also mix in fine shell grit with the seed and give them cuttlefish as well. That and fresh water is all i give them.
Melika

Post by Melika »

I buy from the bulk bin at the local pet store I like. They always have quality and the seed is bought quickly so isn't sitting around for ages collecting moths. I switch it up, sometimes I get a sunflower base, other times I get a safflower base. I like to try new things.

I prefer to feed mostly veggies and fruits. Lately the morning meal has been sweet potato mash and veggies/fruits and the evening meal has been seeds. I feed pellets sometimes too. I am experimenting to see if Hane's feather picking might be related to excess vitamins in pellets.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Codys Mom

Post by Codys Mom »

I'am going to the local pet store on monday , I have a freind that works their and she does my birds nails for me and she said they have a really good seed mixture with no sunflower seeds so I might get some and try it
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

Codys mom, please let me know the brand u find with no sunflower seeds. D u live in the u.s? I tried alternating pellets, and he just won't eat!! Most seeds I've found have too many sunflower seeds
Codys Mom

Post by Codys Mom »

I'am in Michigan and if the pet store doesn't have anything I like I'am going to order this Kaylor of Colorado Sweet Harvest probably the cokatiel size 2 lbs with no sunflower seeds
from this site http://www.naturechest.com/kaswha.html
Melika

Post by Melika »

If I had to order, I would probably get my seed from here: http://www.volkmanseed.com/
My favourite product from them is this bean mix thing: http://www.volkmanseed.com/products/fea ... mmerl.html

You can also ask your bird store if they are willing to order what you are looking for. Ours will :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay