Veteran bird, new owner

Moderator: Mods

Papachabre

Veteran bird, new owner

Post by Papachabre »

Hi all.

I'm new to this board and I'm soon to be an even newer Indian Ring-Neck Parakeet owner.

I'm adopting the bird from a friend's sick relative. I don't know any details yet except that it is 15 years old, and that makes me a bit nervous. I'm sure it's accustomed to its home and I don't know how it will react to the new environment. But I love birds and I want to give it a try.

I'm not sure what to expect, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for this specific situation. Will it be uncomfortable in a new environment? How can I help it transition to its new home?

Any advice would be well recieved.

Thanks!
-Bryan
ellieelectrons

Re: Veteran bird, new owner

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Bryan

First of all let me commend you for taking in this bird!

Be aware that transitioning to a new home is difficult for a bird especially a bird that has been in the same place for 15 years.

Is the bird tame? Does it get out of cage time? Are you keeping its existing cage?

Find out whatever you can about your bird's current routine and do what you can to replicate it (at least during the transition period). Anything that the bird is used to its current situation that you can keep using is good eg. Night time cage covers, toys, food bowls, etc.

Find out what its favorite foods are and have your bird associate them with you either by hand feeding them to it or by making sure it sees you putting it in its food bowl. Set it up in an area where your bird can observe you without it being the centre of attention. Eg. Near your computer, the tv, etc.

If you have the opportunity, it would be good for you to spend time with the bird in it's current environment before bringing it home.

Good luck. Just take it slow, don't expect too much at once and take your cue from the bird.

Ellie.
Papachabre

Re: Veteran bird, new owner

Post by Papachabre »

Thanks for all the fantastic advice, Ellie!

You've given me plenty of good questions to ask my friend. Hopefully she can provide answers.

I'm hoping the bird is tame and that it's used to being let out of the cage because I hope to spend time with it. The owner is giving me the cage, toys and food, so at least those items will stay familiar to it.

I understand if it will not be too friendly at first. I would be pretty grumpy if I was forced to move in with people I'd never met before. I just hope that it will warm up to me eventually if not at first.

Thanks again!
-Bryan