finally my IRN isn't biting me :)

Moderator: Mods

Pattu Rani

finally my IRN isn't biting me :)

Post by Pattu Rani »

My 1yr old IRN male has been scared and bitey ever since we have had him. He has always been afraid of hands even though he was handfed and won't step up to anyone's finger, only to a handheld perch. The other day I saw a video where someone stopped their parrot from biting by putting some sweet syrup on their finger, so we tried this with Krishna and it seems to be working. He seems to be less aggressive when he is away from his cage as well. Today he was on the floor and I sat down, pt my hand out and he started nibbling on it but not biting - this is the first time. I wasn't offering anything sweet either. I was able to offer his favorite whiffle ball to him and he didn't back off or try to bite - still won't step up but I am hopeful he will trust me now :D
dean_harryman

Re: finally my IRN isn't biting me :)

Post by dean_harryman »

target training does wonders, you should watch some videos on youtube about target training.

the best first step in developing a bond and trust, is learning the step up. you are on the right track, and after your bird learns the step-up the fear of your hands will most likely disappear.