Just a couple of questions

Moderator: Mods

Hize01

Just a couple of questions

Post by Hize01 »

I have had the 2 green ones together for about a year but the olive one doesnt react to maddog and when I had them all out of cages he goes for the silver and she loves it but the olive one gets upset. When the end of winter comes should I keep the green ones together or try with the silver since they seem to bond very quickly?
Second question is just about what foods i should feed at breeding time?
Heavy Metal Forever!!..................
rod038

Re: Just a couple of questions

Post by rod038 »

It sounds like it would be easier to pair the Silver to the Green if they get on better. If you did want to pair the Olive to the Green you would need to have the Silver out of sight. I have broken up pairs that have bred together in the past but you need to get them away from each other and do this a few months before breeding season starts. This way you have time and if they arent getting on then swap the pairing.

To get them better bonded give them one piece of fruit when you feed them that they have to share and this can sometimes force them together. I use half a passion fruit for this. As far as other food whilst breeding I give my pairs corn, soaked seed and dry seed each day and then add some apple or pear or other fruit as well. They also need Calcium blocks or Cuttle Fish Bone.
Hize01

Post by Hize01 »

Thanks, I have moved silver in but left olive in. Green and silver are doing their thing and olive is being a loner. I will put the olive in the other cage with my 7mnth old sky blue, obviously not going to breed.
So with Silver female and green male what kind of colour birds would i get, no idea on history.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

green male with cinnamon grey female if neither one are split to anything you will get males 50% green and 50% grey-green (same as your other bird you call olive) and they all will be split for blue cinnamon the females will be 50% green and 50% grey-green and all of them will be split for blue
Hize01

Post by Hize01 »

Considering winter is just starting here and my birds are mating should i put the box in the cage sooner or still wait til closer to spring?
I dont want her laying eggs with nothing to lay in because this will end bad.
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

what is the temperature during winter in Australia where you live?
Greatings from Flanders, Belgium!!!

Lucas
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi in western sydney it was already -1 the other day but can get down to -5 but thats about it hear, it get even colder inland over the ranges.

And in summer it can go upto 46 these are centigrade.

Thanks Glenn
Hize01

Post by Hize01 »

Thats celcius not Farenheit, To those who use that system.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I wouldnt put any nest boxes in just yet. Wait till July/August.