Breeding my blue eyed irn. Advice needed

Moderator: Mods

Noelle99

Breeding my blue eyed irn. Advice needed

Post by Noelle99 »

Hi guys, I have a green ringneck hen, she is 3 yr old. She has blue eyes, is that normal, I also have a blue 3yr old male. They have Been in the same cage for about 6 months now, she used to chase him and he used to be afraid of her but 2 weeks ago she laid an egg at the bottom of the cage and it was broke. So I put up a nest box. She started scratching straight away, that net on for a week , now she sits in it now scratching occasionally. For the first week the male did not go in. But he does now. He was cleaning her today but they still keep their distance most of the time. They can eat out of the same bowl together now at the same time wereas before he used to be afraid of her. She was handraired but he wasn't . When she sees me she bows and cluks.Will they breed for me? And what colour chicks will they have. And what about the blue eyes in my hen? It is coming into breeding season here. Any info would be great
Noelle99

Re: Breeding my blue eyed irn. Advice needed

Post by Noelle99 »

come on guys. a little info needed here, also since i posted this the 2 of them are in the nestbox sometimes and if not she is in there and he sits outside the box entrance
Louie

Post by Louie »

Ok if neither of your birds are split to anything then all the babies will be green split to blue. Not sure about the blue eye thing with your hen. It sounds to me like they are going to breed but I have never bred IRN's before so don't take my word for it.
I currently own: 1 male, green Indian Ringneck, 1 Labrador Retriever, 1 Mini Lop rabbit and 4 backyard chickens (silkies)
ImageImageImage
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there,

The babies will be green/split blue.

The eye colour is normal.

They should breed but dont be surprised to have infertile eggs on the firsts season.
If they arent firtile then pull them out and they may go down again.

Thanks Glenn