Question from a newbie...

Moderator: Mods

ejw829

Question from a newbie...

Post by ejw829 »

Hello, folks!

I just posted an intro but thought that I'd jump in and get my feet wet with a question:

Are IRNs in general considered to be a loud bird?

By loud I mean nonstop screechiness, perhaps along the lines of a conure. I am pretty tolerant of bird noise as that's part of what a bird does in the wild. The reason I ask, however, is because of my living situation. I have an apartment over a funeral home. We don't have many funerals in my building (maybe 1-3 a month, on average). My lovebird, Beetle, can be barely be heard through my closed door if you are standing at the foot of my steps. Staff or family have NEVER complained. The room(s) where any bird would be kept are not over the actual viewing room so that should help keep interruptions to a minimum.

I realize, of course, that every bird is different. And like people, temperments CAN change.

Thanks so much!
-e-
Eliza
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

For the most part... mine are not "loud". Conures are louder than them, and more annoying.

BUT...

If they happen to get ticked off... they can blast the house down.

Athena
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

They make chirps that can get loud in the am, noon and at night. It sounds like a comfort sound but after awhile they can get worked up with it. Sounds like a box of puppies.

Screamers are made, not born. If given into everytime attention is requested, that may be one example of how to perpetuate a screamer. Otherwise, you should be fine, in fact, most research recommends IRN's as apartment birds over MANY other parrot species.
~ Mikaela Sky

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep , morning , afternoons and evenings Kai gets to chattering and practicing to talk, I love the sound of his voice. He only really gets very loud with his contact call when he hears a familiar sounding birds outside, or if he is stirred up by my husband.

If they do get started its usually only for a block of something like 10 min. They are not constant annoyances. If kai did not chatter at his normal times during the days I think I would panick and think something was wrong.

I use these times to spend with him and help him practice his words I want to teach him.

Cheers!
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

HATE the contact call. I have an anxiety disorder so it goes from quiet to chaos and it frightens me at first until I realize all is well. Quick note about anxiety disorders: Unlike most people, I havent the ability to tell what is VERY important and not so important. To me, everything is WAY to important and I dwell on it. My birds have helped me through this condition more than any meds. They have also toned down my anger (although I often have to be held back as not to shoot to someones arse). And patience? WOW... they have really helped me with that. My condition cant be fixed, only tolerated through meds or other treatment. My birds are really good for me. If I feel a panic attack coming, I run and get Baby and she goes into her antics and it passes. Why am I telling all of this?

I get up to early. I am typing out of my subconscience.

It is the same for all of our babies, right? The car alarm sound? Baby also uses that sound to tell her brothers to back away and noone will get hurt. They readily head her warnings, I assure you.
~ Mikaela Sky

Xenobia

Post by Xenobia »

Oh Mikaela, I totally know what you mean!
My partner has anxiety problems and I've noticed that just talking to Busey and playing with him can make him a lot more calm.
Of course the flock call will drive him nuts too :)

I find that the contact/flock call is the only really annoying/loud sound Busey makes. The rest of his noises are just adorable. Especially the "piggy siren" call. I need to record that and post it so you guys can tell me if your tree pears make that noise too.