Pale beak: normal or problem?

Moderator: Mods

Lisa_G

Pale beak: normal or problem?

Post by Lisa_G »

Hi everyone! I am looking at buying a young handraised IRN from a private seller (who is not the breeder, just did the handraising) The IRN is about 7 weeks old, and has a wonderful nature, the lady has done a really good job.

My only concern is that the IRN's beak colour looks a bit drab/washed out coral colour, with a few black markings. My last IRN, and most that I have seen either have bright coral or deep red with black edges. I'm sure even my last IRN, when bought at the same age, had a lovely bright coral coloured beak already.

Can anyone tell me if this is a sign of illness/poor breeding/poor diet, have you had a similar experience, and the outcome?

The baby is blue, has pale legs and dark nails, parents were blue and white. Having trouble uploading photo atm.

Lisa xx
ellieelectrons

Re: Pale beak: normal or problem?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Lisa

Not an authority on these things... but I can tell you that our Janey who is a blue IRN had almost an orange beak when she was younger. It is a much deeper red now. It just changed gradually over time. Our vet gave her a clean bill of health when we took her for a check up when she was little... so in her case it was nothing to worry about. Black on her beak just means she is a baby.

Good luck!

Ellie.