My IRN Female is now a single Mum...

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

MariaFT

My IRN Female is now a single Mum...

Post by MariaFT »

Hi all, thanks for the information on this great site! This is my first post here, and I'd appreciate any feedback/help.

I'm currently hand rearing 4 IRN babies, they are about 12 weeks old now, and going through the weaning process. This is my second year of handrearing, and all are well and friendly, and naughty!

We have 2 avieries out the back, and two breeding pairs of Indian Ringnecks.

Now the parents of the original clutch have just hatched another 4 chicks, and the other pair was raising another 4 chicks as well.

I say was, because hubby cleaned the aviery last weekend, and the door at the bottom that slides up and down to let the refuse out was accidently left open, and 'Ken' is gone. We've left a cage out with food on top, but alas not a sign of him.

I don't want to take the babies out, they're about 2 weeks old, and I don't want to distress Mum too much, as she's obviously missing her mate.

We're feeding her all the fresh fruit/veges and seed she can eat. Will she be ok through all this? I'm checking the babies, and all seem well and healthy so far, but I don't want it to be too much of a strain on her.

I'm just not too sure what to do in this situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Oh and the father was blue, and the mother Yellow. The babies are always mainly green, with yellow underwings, and blue pin feathers.
pinkdevil

Re: My IRN Female is now a single Mum...

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi and welcome.
Sorry to read of Ken escaping. :( Have you advertised that he is missing? Some one may have found him or handed him in.

I think as the chicks get a little older, the hen may have a hard time trying to feed 4 mouths. If it was only one or two chicks she may have been able to cope but with 4, I think she would struggle and the chicks would also suffer.

I am not sure how it would work, but maybe you could feed the chicks once or twice a day while still in the nest to help mum out a bit? What do others think?

Good luck and hope Ken is found and returned back to his family.
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Thank you for your reply PinkDevil. No I haven't advertised as yet, but I will put posters up, and at the shops. He's an aviery bird, and unless he was hurt, he'd be off.

I think I'll pull them all from the nest at the end of next week. That will make them 3 weeks old. Poor old Mum's looking very stressed, and eating everything in sight to keep up. They all have full crops though, so she's doing a good job. But I think you're right, it will be very hard for her as they get bigger.

Thanks again for your input.
Cheers
Maria
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Shame the male has not make an appearance, especially as they were a breeding pair. :?
I have had a couple of birds escape, the male returned but the hens that escaped, no sign of them.
Place a thread in the 'Lost' section here on the forum, and if you have facebook, there as well. You just never know your luck.

Fingers crossed for you.
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Thanks Pink Devil. Well I pulled the babies out late this afternoon. Mum doesn't seem to be coping, and had sort of
shunted herself to the fartherest point away from them (the box). She was looking very stressed, and I thought it would be for the best.
The babies were all screaming for food, and their crops were empty. There is one tiny baldy little bugger, and he took to the spoon like a duck to water lol. Even tried to follow it round, but I thought his crop was pretty full lol. I will post pics later, when I get them off hubby's phone. I can't believe the size difference though. The others are big, so it's easy to see who's been missing out.

So I'm now feeding 8, but the 4 big ones are in a cage, and weaning. I may pull the other 4 out at the end of next week. In for a penny, in for a pound hahaha (hysterical laugh lol).

I've put up fliers, but no replies regarding the father. Maybe something spooked him. He did seem pretty devoted to her... Oh well, will get her a friend if he doesn't show. But it's not looking good.. I keep expecting to see him hanging off the outside of the aviery.
angela74

Post by angela74 »

hi sorry to hear about your loss how is the hand feeding going are they doing well i have a pair of inr but they did not breed this year not sure why but i have another pastel cobalt which i will put with a pastelblue lacewing next year lets hope they all have babys next time love to hear how things go.
angela (mackay qld australia)
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Thanks Angela. I've just attached some photos, here are my big guys, and new babies.... See the size difference. There are 8 all up, but 2 are hiding :)
Attachments
He/she loves his food! Wings spread, and all excited lol.<br />Sorry for the terrible pic.  On hubbys phone.
He/she loves his food! Wings spread, and all excited lol.
Sorry for the terrible pic. On hubbys phone.
New Babies.jpg
Big Babies.jpg
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

One of my big babies went to a new home today. An older lady who's just lost her hubby. I know he'll be well looked after, but why do I feel so upset? lol

I feel the other 3 are all looking at me with disaproval! :(
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

They are beautiful. Shame about the male not returning, maybe someone has found him and decided to keep him.

Looks like the littlie sure is making up for missing out in the nest. :D

Ohhhhh....I know that feeling about feeling upset when you say goodbye to one of your babies. Even though you know they are going to a wonderful home, it is still sad. You spend at least 6 weeks tending to their every need and watch them grow from a pink blob into a wonderful, cheeky juvenile. Very hard not to get attached even though you know they will have a new home to go to in the end.