Stepping Up

Moderator: Mods

jen5239
Community Greeter

Stepping Up

Post by jen5239 »

Hello all,
Got another ? for you. I'm teaching Remmi to step up right now. And he's getting the hang of it but he wants to fly each and every time. Is this normal? When I'm having him step up on to my hand he tries to fly--flaps those little wings like there's no tomorrow. Then when I'm having him step up from my hand to something else, his cage, the playstand, he really goes for it. And sometimes leaps and tries to fly and goes straight to the floor. Is this something they all do?? And will he eventually stop doing this? He also doesn't want to just hang out on me. Wants to try to get to Byndi. WHY??

Thanks for your help.
Jen
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Hey Jen. I hope everything is alright with Remmi and Byndi. Sounds like your doing everything right as far as the stepping up command. It may take Remmi a while to actually learn it. Also, as Remmi been around other birds for his life? Was he around his brother/sisters? If os, he may be trying to connect with Byndi.

Dani and Prinny
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Young birds can do this if they dont feel secure when they are stepping... my alexandrine is a flapper too. She just doesnt trust us to know when she's settled... so I just give her a second to flap and then she's fine.

:)

Athena
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Thanks you guys. :D Things seem to be going really well with Remmi. He is just so sweet. And those blue eyes just melt my heart. Yes, he was with his brothers and sisters before we got him. So I was wondering if that's why he is determined to be near Byndi. And Byndi is so not nice to him. But the little you know what just keeps trying! It's so cute. But I want to hang with him and alls he wants to do is try to get to Byndi. Oh well. In due time. Is there anything to do to help them feel assured when they're stepping up that they don't have to flap like that? Or will that just come with time? He's so cute too, cuz he just gets this look on his little face like are you going to make me do this again?? I so far haven't found any kind of food that he goes nuts for. Doesn't even seem to want to try any. He just grabs it and throws it. Which the dogs love. So I can't really reward him for good behavior. Any suggestions there??? Well better boogie. We're getting bad thunderstorms and under a tornado watch tonight. So better turn computer off and head to bed. Chat with you soon. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hugs,
Jen
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

growls is flapping alot atm. mostly because he is unsure of his footing. this is a normal baby thing.
try putting byndi in a different room for some quiet time while you work with your baby.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Chief too flaps, he is at 4 months old. Baby did it when she was a baby too. As Neo did, I just stayed very still until they got their talons set in and felt stable. He isnt doing it much anymore. His 'baby clumsy' is going away.

That alone earns TONS of trust because it shows the fella that even when he is a little off-kilter, you are his rock. :D
~ Mikaela Sky