eggy's =P

Moderator: Mods

Trips

eggy's =P

Post by Trips »

howdy all

i got me some eggies at the start of the week from my indoor pair first season for them got 2 eggies =D

however having a problem atm everytime i come into the room the female bails out of her nest and wont go back in for hours =( makes it hard keeping their food and water up to date also the hard part is im not sure if i should move them somewhere els as they are in the living room and have been since we got them

is there a time frame that she can be off/away from the nest if she is sitting the eggs?
pinkdevil

Re: eggy's =P

Post by pinkdevil »

Congrats on the eggies. :D :D

It depends on how many eggs she will lay. If there are more eggs to come, she may not be ready to sit full time them. When one of my hens lays 5 eggs, she doesn't begin to sit tight until the 3rd or 4th egg.
How deep is the nestbox. The deeper the nest the less effort the hen will make to come out.
I am not exactly how long a hen can be away from the eggs before eggs are at risk.
Trips

Re: eggy's =P

Post by Trips »

thanks for the info and the reply :D

the nest box 20cm deep however its 40cm long. she was in there all night last night didnt come out once. then this morning when we went into the room she came out and didnt go back in until tonight.

the last egg was laid yesterday and the first egg came on wednesday morning.

i have be monitoring her all day via video camera which is set up 5foot away from the cage on the couch with leads running to my computer room so we can watch from the pc screen.

she has been out of the box since 12pm today and only just gone back in the box at 6pm and comes out for food and water every 15 to 30 mins.

I know there is 2 eggs in there at this stage but im not game enough to go near the cage anymore incase she stays out of the breeding box away from the eggs.

also the only reason why i know there is 2 eggs is, i found the second egg on the bottom of the cage just outside of the nestbox and i put it in with the first one this morning when i fed them thats when she stayed out of the nestbox until tonight.