Guinea pig/rabbit mixture??

Moderator: Mods

Kimberly4403

Guinea pig/rabbit mixture??

Post by Kimberly4403 »

I am doing research on this bird as i am interested in getting one, but not before I know all I can about them:
I currently have a budgie and as part of her captive foraging play she loves to find and eat guinea pig/rabbit mixture made up of lucern pellets, grasses, grains and seeds. I was wondering if you can give this to a IRN as part of a captive foraging program??
Kray Twins

Re: Guinea pig/rabbit mixture??

Post by Kray Twins »

I got a certain type of look from Ronnie the other day when he tried to eat one of our house rabbits pellets...it was something along the lines of;

"What the hell is this?! No thanks...!"
racheljean10

Post by racheljean10 »

Kray Twins wrote:I got a certain type of look from Ronnie the other day when he tried to eat one of our house rabbits pellets...it was something along the lines of;

"What the hell is this?! No thanks...!"
Hehe, our Macaw Rockie gave us the exact same reaction when he got into some rabbit pellets at the place we take him to get his talons trimmed...he was like "WTF, bro!? I want my fruity pellets back!"
-Rachel (:
Rockie (Calico Macaw)
Snakey (Columbian Boa)
Olie (Clear Cap Lacewing IRN)
Grizzly and Rex (Kitties)
Melika

Post by Melika »

It isn't generally recommended to feed pellets meant for other animals to parrots. Two main reasons: the supplement levels of vitamins and minerals will often be drastically different, as will protein; the percentage of actual parrot food eaten will be decreased by the addition of other foods not meant for birdie consumption which could lead to malnutrition or deficiencies.

Primate biscuits were very popular for a long time to be given to larger parrots. They are cheap and we didn't know much about parrot nutrition (frankly we still don't know a lot!). Now we know that there are potentially harmful ingredients to parrots in primate biscuits.

Rabbit pellets do supplement salt which, in excess, could be harmful to a parrot.

Edit: I meant to add, kudos for doing research first!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay