What Colors

Moderator: Mods

JimHcctx

What Colors

Post by JimHcctx »

I spoke too soon in my previous post, so lets try this a second time.

I bred a Male Blue to a Female Lutino and got 4 offspring.

All four offspring are pinning out green feathers. The only diffrence is:

2 Babies have green feathers black toe nails and grey feet.

2 babies have lighter green feathers, white toe nails and pink feet.

It still might be too early to tell for sure the color of all four, and the two with pink feet do have a slightly diffrent (lighter) color in thier feather shafts as well, but regarding the feet, what am I looking at? What is the significance of this? Is it determining sex maybe?

Thanks
Jim
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
smallworld

Re: What Colors

Post by smallworld »

I dont know how important the color of the toenails are in breeding, as for genetic reasons I prefer wild colored birds but our ringy has greyish and not black toenails although he is wild colored. His parents are lutino and blue. Its not black toenails like those I've seen on other ringnecks :)
Recio

Re: What Colors

Post by Recio »

Hi Jim,

Could you post a pic of your male? Probably he is not blue but blue cinnamon (blue head and greyish body-wings). If it was the case the light nails with pink feet birds are green cinnamon females split blue, and the black nails with grey feet birds are normal green split blue and ino males.

Another possibility (very rare) is that both parents were split to a fallow mutation, but in this case you would have noticed that the light nails pink feet birds display red eyes.

Cheers and good luck with your babies

Recio